~ 27 ~

~ Chapter Twenty Seven ~

After Ruby ruined that small movie moment Zander and I had, we went to the back of the library. There we decided to look through past journals and history books of their ancestors. We were hoping to get a clue as to what might have happened to the ring.

However, as we searched, I suddenly thought about the thing Libelle had mentioned. Where I can have the men fight until one of them forfeits. But if that's an option, why doesn't anyone use it? Would it be an added problem if I asked Zander and Ruby now?

I sat the book I was holding down and cleared my throat. "Hey. Can I ask something?"

Both Zander and Ruby nodded as they continued to skim through their books. I guess they don't see the seriousness of where this conversation is going. Which is obvious. Whenever someone would say "we need to talk" or "can I ask something", they usually end in arguments.

Well here it goes. "I heard that there's a way in which the men don't have to kill one another. Is that true?"

Both Zander and Ruby immediately looked up. Ruby was shocked while Zander held an angry expression.

Yup, should have known it was the wrong topic to bring up.

"Are you talking about the fight ending in exile?" Ruby asked.

"Exile? Is that what happens when you forfeit?"

Ruby shook her head in disbelief. "Who would mention that to you? That hasn't been an option for generations. The one to lose ends up in exile. They're forced and hunted out of our lands. If they survive then they'll live a life of solitude away from the dragon lands."

"Why? Losing isn't a bad thing. I was taught to learn that it's okay to lose once in a while. It just teaches you that you could've done something differently to win. So that when next time comes around, you'll try even harder to win with new ideas."

Ruby rolled her eyes. "That may sound all nice, but the men here showcase their strength and power. If you were to lose in front of everyone, no one would believe you're capable enough to protect your family. That's why it's an honor to die at the hands of a strong opponent."

I shook my head in confusion. "Over a woman?"

"Men show their full potential in front of the woman they strongly desire. It's why we have this tradition. In a regular fight, no one would push against their limits to win."

I turned to Zander as he finished speaking. What he said actually sounds logical. In a bizarre way of course.

As a child, my sister and I would fight with one another. But they weren't serious. Not until one day she ended up ruining my favorite stuff penguin that my grandpa had gotten me. It was something I treasured dearly because he and I had gone to the aquarium alone a few weeks before a heart attack killed him.

We had a blast. I loved that penguin with all my heart and when I had seen it destroyed, I snapped. I ended up pulling her hair and scratching her arms with all my might. I wanted her to hurt just as much as I was hurting. That was my biggest desire at the moment.

Although I was around nine when this all occurred. But I still remember those raw emotions I felt upon seeing my penguin ruined.

It may not hold the same candle to the dragon's traditions, but it does relate to what Zander said. People go to extreme lengths to protect what's theirs.

However, ending someone's life is still not okay.

"I understand what you're trying to say, Zander. But violence only causes more pain. And killing someone is irreversible."

"You better not ask for that option," cut in Ruby. "You may think you're saving their lives but it's worse to be slaughtered by an entire horde of Dragons. Especially if some of them are the people you've loved and trusted the most."

I gulped. "Okay I won't."

Ruby nodded. "There's only four more men left. Kaene, Zander, Hank, and Jeff. This coming full moon will be the last one you have to endure. Just bare with it."

I nodded.

"So did you reorganize the library? Last time I came in with Libelle, there weren't book shelves in the middle. They were all against the wall."

She nodded. "We were running out of space for more books. The Chief digs up old stuff from the underground storage rooms. He doesn't like it when it's rotting away. He left me and ladon in charge."

My eyes widened as I remembered what I walked into earlier. My cheeks flushed as well as I cleared my throat."I see."

I think Ruby knew where my thoughts were leading because she rolled her eyes as she chuckled. "Anyway, you continue with the search. I have to finish other errands too."

Zander and I said our farewells as she left us alone. He continued to go through the book he had in his hands quietly.

I took this opportunity to admire him. The soft glow of light coming from the rocks on the wall casted beautiful highlights on his face. It enhanced the sharpness of his jaw and the shape of his face. This was a perfect picture moment. That will most likely be embedded in my brain forever.

This man is very handsome and if we were under different circumstances, and back in my world, I would definitely accept all his advances.

But he belongs here. He's not entirely human. And I still don't know much about him.

A loud thump noise brought me back to reality. I noticed Zander closed his book shut and put it back where he found it. He let's out a sigh and turns to me. I flinch and look down as quickly as I could, hoping he didn't catch on to me staring at him like a food starved maniac.

"Let's take a break. I feel words are dancing in front of my eyes."

I chuckled a bit. "You go on and replenish your energy. I feel fine to continue. I read a lot back at home."

Zander's smile faltered at the word 'home'. I knew he didn't want me leaving. But at least he's trying to help me return to my happiness. For that I'm very grateful. To him and Ruby.

He nodded at me and left.

I was left alone with a whole bunch of books. I always did hear that stories are the key to solving future problems. History is just a trial of errors that anyone can learn from.

Or so my tenth grade history teacher always said.

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Happy New Year!

I am super duper sorry for being m i a. I've been actually constructing and reconstructing future chapters. I want everything that's coming to be perfect for you.

I hope everyone is enjoying their new year. ☺

Comment & Vote!