{CHAPTER 2}

°

°

THERE WAS A RED MARK ON RHAENYRA'S FOREHEAD FROM HAVING FACEPALMED HERSELF SO MANY TIMES AFTER SEEING WHAT THE DWARVES HAD DONE. After having made camp she had ventured into the forest, to try and catch some game Bofur could mix into the stew he was cooking for supper. But she didn't get very far until the yells and cries of dwarves in distress reached her ears.

Rhaenyra did her best to remain in the shadows of the scene she stumbled upon, but at first found it hard to suffocate her laughter. A large portion of the company had been tied up in sacks and thrown in a pile while the rest of them had been fastened to a roasting spit above a roaring campfire, carefully rotated by one of the three trolls that had captured them. 

What Rhaenyra first did was slowly creeping forward through the bushes, trees and fallen logs with her bow drawn and read yto shoot. An argument then broke out between the trolls, on how the best way to cook the dwarves woud be. Rhaenyra froze in the middle of sneaking forward when she felt someone looking at her, but relaxed when she saw it was only Bilbo who had spotted her. After silently shaking her head at Bilbo, telling him to remain silent, Rhaenyra continued forward.

Then her little friend Bilbo, surprising Rhaenyra, had managed to wobble to his feet and did his best to buy the dwarves some time after spotting Rhaenyra between the trees. Bilbo started to ramble on about him knowing a superior way to cook dwarf than slowly roasting them on a spit over a fire. He mentioned skinning them first which was followed by an array of protest from the dwarves, Dwaling even pointed a threatening finger at Bilbo, promising that he would never forget this. 

Bilbo's suggestion didn't go over well with one of the trolls who had claimed he had eaten several dwarves with their skins still on, clothes and boots as well every now and then. Though the last straw was when the shortest of the trolls hurried over to the pile of dwarves in sacks who were not tied to the spit and picked up Bombur, claiming there was nothing wrong with raw dwarf.

Rhaenyra's shot wasn't intended to hit the troll, afraid of hurting Bombur who was quite high up in the air, so she aimed at the tree behind the troll, holding him up by his feet. The arrow sailed through the air sudden as a thunderbolt and just as fast, snagging a pieceof the troll's leathervest with it before hitting the trunk of the tree.

Silence fell over the clearing when Rhaenyra stepped out of the shadows, lazily leaning against the closest tree, however still prepared to fire off a second arrow at any time and to call for Drogon should everything really go out of hand. Rhaenyra hoped Gandalf would be close by.

"Don't" Rhaenyra warned, her tone sounding as if she was a mother scolding her children for b'misbehaving or doing something very bad. Bombur was promptly tossed back into the pile, the dwarves he landed on groaned in pain at the extra weight, "It wouldn't be very nice, would it?"

"And who are you?"

"Can we eat her?"

Rhaenyra rolled her eyes, knocking a second arrow which she aimed straight at the troll who had tried to eat Bombur just now. Apparently her bow and the arrow she was aiming threw them off their game.