[ 03. ]

A couple of weeks had gone by and the life-changing news had settled in for Shouto. He had signed on to his father's hero agency, just like what they agreed on. He was already doing hero work, trying to distract him from the harsh reality of the coming weeks.

But, that night, he was going to meet her for the first time. He emerged from the ice-cold shower, embracing the chill. What the hell was he going to wear for his— future wife?

The words tasted weird in his mouth, even if he just thought it. How was he going to give everything to someone he just met? Easy. He wouldn't. Todoroki messed with his hair, trying to get it right.

Did he really have to try so hard? Or care? It didn't matter, they were bound to be together. He stared at himself in the mirror, gripping the edge of the sink. The heat in one hand grew, ice in the other. He couldn't spiral, he couldn't lose his temper. He wouldn't lose it. He was going to be okay, he would try to be a safe place.

Even if it meant he had to avoid her.

Changing into something nicer than usual, he went to find his older sister. She was in her room, reading a book. Todoroki knocked on the door.

"Ane?"

She peaked out from behind the book, a small smile lighting up her face. She laid her book on her chest, putting her hands together.

"You look great, Shouto," Fuyumi looked down. "I'm sorry this is how it ended up."

He had planned something grand to say. A big statement, like he was going to tell her how much he cared about them and everything they tried to do for him. The words just wouldn't form, as he stood there for a second, she stared at him.

Then, he turned his face away. "Don't be."

He didn't listen for any of her calls and headed out to their living area. His father stood tall, wearing a nice suit.

"You look ready, son."

"Do not patronize me, father," Shouto pushed past him, opening the door and heading toward the black car.

The ride was relatively silent, Shouto and his father sitting next to each other in silence. He looked out the window, the blurred night-time lights zoning him out from what he was about to do.

"Why did she agree?" He asked out of the blue. It caught his father by surprise and Enji Todoroki shifted in his seat.

"What drives everyone, Shouto?" There was another silence, but he knew the answer. "Money."

"Why did you choose her?" Shouto continued, not looking his father in the eyes.

"Her quirk is the exact opposite of yours and just as powerful. You will create excellent, if not perfect children."

Shouto felt himself cringe at the thought. She wasn't going to be that to him. They would coexist. That's it. He would go through with the marriage and that's it.

The car came to a rolling stop. It was a beautiful high rise apartment complex, that overlooked the entire city. This is where she lives? Todoroki thought, wondering why she would even need the money.