Chapter 9

Michelle drove to the restaurant. While on her way there, she called Chloe to let her know they would meet at the restaurant. She arrived at the restaurant and went into her office to drop her purse. She decided to give her mom a call when suddenly her phone began ringing. She looked at the caller ID and saw that it was her mom, she smiled at the coincidence.

"Hey, Mom. I was just about to call you but you beat me to it." She excitedly said causing Leah to laugh.

"How did the party go?" Her mom asked.

Michelle took a deep breath before replying.

"It was fine. Nathan loved it."

"Are you sure?" Leah asked not wanting to believe Michelle's reply.

"Yes, Mom... Although Rebecca thought otherwise." She honestly replied.

"Oh, honey!"

"It's nothing to worry about, she's always like that." Michelle tried to lighten the mood.

"How are things at the restaurant?" Leah asked changing the subject.

"Everything is going well. I asked Sam to go inspect all the other branches. He'll be back by next week." She explained.

"Okay honey, I only hope you aren't getting yourself stressed out." Leah was concerned about her daughter's well-being.

"I'm not at all. I'm rather worried about you."

"Baby, don't be, I'm fine... You make me feel like I'm too old. Linda is keeping me company, so I don't feel like I'm alone."

"Oh, Mom!" Michelle was really worried about her mom.

Derek and Michelle had once asked Leah to come live with them but she refused with the excuse that she didn't want to be a bother to them.

"Alright, honey, I'll hang up now so you can work. Take good care of yourself, okay baby?"

"Okay, Mom, and please do the same."

"I will, honey. Bye."

"I love you, Mom," Michelle said and hung up.

She then decided to go to the kitchen to thank the chefs for a job well done yesterday.

"Hello everyone!" She greeted.

They smiled at her and returned her greeting.

"I want to thank you guys for a job well done. I enjoyed your menu and so did the guests... And guess what?... You guys got a 100%"

The chefs cheered at that, happy to hear that their job was appreciated.

"I knew I'd find you here,"

Michelle heard someone say so she turned around, it was her best friend Chloe. She sent a smile her way and turned her attention back to the chefs.

"You all can go back to work... Ben, can you make me rice and curry chicken?" She asked one of the chefs.

"Sure thing, boss."

"Thanks." She said with a smile and turned around to face her best friend.

"Shall we?" She gestured for them to leave the kitchen area.

They walked back to her office.

As soon as Michelle closed the door, Chloe groaned in frustration.

"What is wrong with that guy?"

Michelle looked at her friend with furrowed eyebrows. She wondered who she was talking about.

"Um. I honestly don't get you." She told Chloe.

"That Nathan guy."

Michelle then understood what she was getting at.

"I mean... He was avoiding me the whole time." Chloe continued.

"He was trying to attend to all his guests. You should know that." Michelle tried to make her friend understand, letting out a small chuckle.

"I was hitting on him, it was obvious but he kept ignoring me... I swear he was doing it on purpose."

"Maybe he's engaged or probably he has a girlfriend back in New York."

"I know guys like him. He most certainly isn't engaged or in a relationship." Chloe said.

"If you say so. But Chloe, he's a bit older, can't you see that?" Michelle asked surprised at how desperate Chloe was about getting Nathan.

"The older, the better," Chloe replied with a smirk.

Michelle shook her head in disbelief, internally sympathizing with her friend.

"What?" Chloe asked confused.

"Oh Chloe," Michelle sighed.

"I'm gonna get him, you'll see."

"Good luck with that."

"So. Did I miss anything last night?" Chloe asked changing the subject.

Michelle looked at her confused.

"The witch," Chloe said making her understand the question.

"Oh! That." She sighed in a sad tone.

"It was just her usual nagging."

"Doesn't she get tired of doing that?" Chloe had a bored expression on her face.

Michelle shrugged.

"I don't know... Maybe it's because she has this belief that I'm a nobody,"  She explained not sure of her reply.

"Oh please, give me a break. You and I know that's not true... Your late dad, bless his soul, he owns one of the best restaurants here. Your family is notable... Tell me, how is that a nobody?" Chloe was upset about Rebecca's nagging and verbal assault on her best friend.

"Someone has to put her in her place real soon."

"I agree on that... But not me."

"Why?" Chloe asked.

"For Christ's sake Chloe, she's Derek's mother..."

"What about that?... Gosh, Michelle! She makes your life miserable. You know, I sometimes wonder how you manage to live through all of that."

"I know what you mean but you have to understand me... Derek won't be happy if I disrespect his mom. He adores her."

"But he also loves you," Chloe stated.

"The only thing involved here is love, but... It's different and incomparable."

"So, what you're trying to say is Derek loves his mom much more than he loves you?"

"I didn't say that... Oh Chloe, how do you even expect me to know that?"

"Wow. You're in one hell of a ride."

Michelle let out a heavy sigh.

"As much as I'd love to remain here with you, I have to go for a photo shoot," Chloe said standing up to take her leave.

"Tell me something, Michelle... Do you think the models in New York are better looking than I am? I mean, why wouldn't Nathan take notice of me?" She blurted out.

Michelle just smiled, she never ceased to be intrigued by how good her best friend was at changing topics without even noticing it.

"Just leave already." She chuckled playfully pushing Chloe out of her office.

"Goodbye, Michelle!" Chloe shouted when she was out of the office.

I have no idea what's wrong with Wattpad, my chapters are just scattered and it's so frustrating, guys for any inconvenience. I hope you're enjoying the story
Please don't forget to vote if you like the chapter
Until the next chapter 😘