Bonus chapter - Christmas special

In light of hitting 70K reads and because it is the holiday season and today happens to be Christmas, I thought I'd give you all a little bonus chapter to say thank you.

I hope you are able to spend today surrounded by the most important people in your lives. Cherish the holiday season because it really is the most wonderful time of the year.

Thank you for everything and Merry Christmas and have a happy new year!

Love,

Madi xoxo

5 years later

5 years later

"ELLIE! THE CHICKEN IS ON FIRE!"

There are only a few moments in my life where I've regretted making a decision. Hosting Christmas lunch is one of them.

"Ellie!"

I scramble out from the bathroom, making sure I don't trip over Hunter's clothes which have been thrown across the floor in his rush to find the shirt I bought him for his last birthday.

My feet slip twice against the hardwood floor, both times I go to brace myself but breath a sigh of relief that I don't actually have to pick myself up from the ground. The smell of smoke is wafting from the kitchen in our home, clouding my vision. The fire alarm begins to sound and I cringe, covering my ears.

I rush into the kitchen, watching as Hunter stands over the oven, leaning in as he pulls out a black, crisp chicken. He coughs violently, rubbing his watery eyes.

"I leave you alone for twenty minutes," I mutter under my breath, shaking my head.

But despite the disastrous day that hasn't even truly begun yet, I can't help but smile at my boyfriend as he attempts to carve the burnt chicken. He's trying his best.

"Shit, I'm so sorry, El. I know how important today is for you and—"

"Hey," I say, closing the oven door and picking up a tea towel to wave against the alarm. "Don't worry about it. We still have pork. It'll be enough."

"I didn't—"

I reach up on my toes, planting a kiss on his lips. He smiles down at me when I pull away. I brush a loose strand of blonde hair from his eyes, watching as his eyes follow my every move.

"Please don't worry about it. It doesn't matter. What matters is that we just have a great day with our families."

"God, I love you."

"And I love you."

I turn back to the chicken as Hunter continues to carve at it. "Maybe some of this is actually salvageable. Just not the skin."