Chapter 5 - Part 2

Taylor

For the next few days, I couldn't help looking out for glimpses of Sin everywhere I went on the college campus, but I didn't see him at all.

I was looking for my phone in my bag. I knew if my brother phoned me again and I missed the call, he would do what he'd threatened to. Unable to find it in my bag, I turned abruptly to head back to my dorm to go and get it before Connor called when I bumped into someone. Hands reached out and gripped my arms to steady me. I looked up to see the guy who had caught me sneaking out of the house after the night I spent with Sin.

"Shouldn't you be looking where you're going?" he asked me with a grin as he released my arms.

"Yeah, sorry, I was a bit distracted," I replied quickly. I made a move to walk past him, but he grabbed my wrist.

"Aren't you the girl who came to see Sin?" he asked. He cocked his head to the side and studied me for a moment. There was no getting away from the guy.

"Yeah," I answered. There was no point in lying. He grinned at me.

"How about we swap names so the next time we bump into each other I won't refer to you as 'the girl I caught sneaking out of the house after a night with Sin' and you won't have to refer to me as 'the guy who caught you sneaking out of the house'?"

I couldn't help smiling.

"Sure, my name is Taylor," I replied.

"I'm Slater," he said. It was a nice name. Then I remembered why I'd bumped into him. I needed get back to my dorm room to get my phone before my brother called.

"Well, I gotta go," I said to Slater as I moved past him.

"My company that bad?" he teased. I stopped and turned to face him.

"No, I just forgot something I need to get before my next class," I explained, shaking my head.

"Fine. Listen, we're having a party at the house on Friday. Why don't you come?" he asked out of the blue.

His request took me by surprise. I wasn't sure why he was asking me to come, but did it really matter? If the party was at their house, then there was a good chance Sin would be there, and I didn't think that was a good idea at all.

"I don't think that is such a good idea. I think it might be a little awkward," I admitted to him, trying to turn him down gently.

"It won't be awkward. Once Sin is done with a girl, he doesn't go back, so he won't care whether you're there or not," he explained with a shrug of his shoulders.

The truth was Sin never had me; in fact, he'd turned me down. Maybe this would be another way to show him that I was over his rejection, even if it was a lie. I contemplated for a moment while Slater watched me. I'd also agreed to go out with Caleb in a week, but we weren't really dating so I could still do what I wanted.

"Okay," I replied. "Can I bring a friend?"

I would feel a lot less nervous if I could drag Jordan along with me.

"Of course you can. The more, the merrier," he replied.

"Great," I said, feeling confident in the decision I'd made.

"I'll see you then, Taylor," he said with one last flash of a smile as he turned and walked away.

I'd forgotten about my phone. I rushed as fast as I could back to my dorm room to get it. Thankfully there were no missed calls when I found it on my bed.

*************

For the rest of the week, I didn't see Slater again, but I did see Sin briefly. This time he ignored me totally, his attention fixed on another pretty girl. It reinforced that my presence didn't affect him at all so going to the party wouldn't be a problem.