Chapter Thirty-Seven

Every time my feet pounded the ground my heart beat twice as fast.

My heat throbbed, my wolf howled with thrill, and the adrenaline that pumped through my veins led the chase with unwavering determination and excitement.

I can't say that my mind was on board with the situation though.

I heard the male Alpha behind me. He easily caught up but was providing me with distance. He seemed to be leading me, directing me. Every time he would get close I would shift my direction just slightly based on his position and it would cause him to back off. I noticed this pattern too late.

My wolf wanted me to slow my pace, allow the male to claim his prize. It was clear by the lack of additional running paws that only the victor had given chase. I felt relieved but fearful. Kain was a wild card. He felt unpredictable most of the time and I knew how he felt about me. He was someone I knew. Someone I had a history with and a wolf that knew me. A very small part had hoped he would have given chase. Now I was faced with an unknown male and an unknown situation.

This stranger was new. His scent, though mouthwatering, was unfamiliar. I didn't know who he was or what he wanted. Even though my heat called to him, his wolf hadn't been forceful. His wolf hadn't tried to claim me before the fight. His hands hadn't raised to hit, his eyes hadn't judged. He was unlike anything I knew. His touch had felt familiar but that familiarity stopped there.

I started to slow, my body throbbing with unrestrained need, causing each step, each bound to be more painful than the last. I wanted relief. I wanted touch, I wanted him.

I heard a faint growl and soon he was at my rear. Looking over my shoulder I flashed him my teeth, and as if mocking me, he lowered his head and snapped lightly at my feet, forcing the run to continue.

I growled lowly again and my wolf tried to jerk us to a stop. I refused. I didn't want to be caught yet I also didn't want to be forced to go wherever he was herding us to.

Another throb had me miss stepping and falling painfully.

His wolf barked, and just as I landed harshly into the rocky ground he was by my side. Nose sniffing over my body, nudging me, his wolf caressing mine in search of marks. It was an obvious concern and without realizing, I had turned onto my side, offering my belly to him, my tail wagging at the ministrations. My heat clouding my judgment.

My reasoning slowly flew out the window as this Alpha hovered over me, his powerful scent blanketing me. The need pulsed as his nose went places that I would be uncomfortable with on a normal day.

There was nothing normal about this day.

Another pulse and I felt myself start to shift. I wanted this wolf. The need ran strong and I knew my scent was probably suffocating. I watch as his nose scrunched up as he tasted my scent in the air. My shifted body allowing my scent to wash over him more heavily. I would become addicted to him, my wolf was determined to force the addiction.

He won the fight.

He won the chase.

There had been no violence.

There had been no discrimination.

My wolf started listing all the things that would sway me into lifting my tail, and it was working.

The Alpha growled low as his body trembled in need. He was affected, his scent was heavy with arousal and I could tell he was fighting his shift.

Without warning, he backed off and howled. It was a language only meant for his pack. One that held more urgency then using their mind link.