004

aboard a train

As she sat looking out of the dirty train window, Avery began to worry that she had made a terrible mistake

As she sat looking out of the dirty train window, Avery began to worry that she had made a terrible mistake. She often had this very thought whenever she brought guys home, sure, but those encounters had never ended like this. She had now run away from all of her problems and instead taken on those belonging to a stranger— a stranger who spoke of space travel and telekinesis; a stranger who hardly felt like a stranger at all.

She couldn't really explain it. Of course, she had been a bit impulsive her whole life. After her relationship with her father soured, she developed tendencies that didn't quite make sense to her. She kept people she didn't like very much in her company and did things she didn't really enjoy doing. This was different, though. To be honest, she wasn't even quite sure if she really believed Luke's stories or not. It was difficult for her to fathom a world in which visiting different planets could be casual. It seemed that the truth didn't matter, however, because she had already made up her mind. She was going to help him.

She looked down and saw that he had fallen asleep, his mess of blonde hair sticking out in every direction possible. She couldn't help but notice that, even in his sleep, his brow was still furrowed. Perhaps he was having a nightmare. Her suspicions were confirmed when he flinched slightly. She gently placed a hand on his shoulder and he jolted awake.

"You good? Had a bad dream?" she asked quietly.

"Don't know that it was a dream," he whispered, rubbing the remanence of sleep from his eyes.

"What do you mean?"

Luke shook his head and reached around in her bag for the beef jerky. He picked the meat apart mindlessly, occasionally taking a bite. She didn't know why, but she felt sad for him.

"I like this," he said thoughtfully.

"Like what? Beef jerky?"

"If that's what it's called."

She almost giggled, but pursed her lips to stop herself. Shameless flirting was one thing, but admiring someone for no reason at all was different. She pushed away that strange sense of familiarity that made her feel drawn to the boy beside of her, and instead snatched a piece of jerky out of his hand.

"Hey," he whined.

"Gotta share," she quipped.

He made no move to steal the piece of jerky back from her. He looked straight ahead and seemed to be struggling to keep his eyes open.

"You're still tired. Go back to sleep," she told him.

He didn't say anything and made no move to relax. She frowned.

"Luke, c'mon. It was just a nightmare. Try to get some rest before we head into the city."

"I don't want to see it again," he whispered.