FORTY - ONE

[ REUNION ]

BEN'S ESCAPE POD LANDED A FEW MILES WEST OF THE OLD REBEL COMPOUND

first order vessel's still drifted to the surface lazily from the atmosphere. it was unlikely that they would be in any rush, because they knew the rest of the rebel fleet had already long gone. but still, they came.

halo knew she didn't have much time. but she couldn't leave him here.

when he had reached out to her, something inside of him was so different, so new. halo had felt him tipping precariously on either end of the scale for so long now, one moment it felt as though the light had him for good, and then, he would do something horrible to reverse the dip of it entirely. his struggle between light and dark had been so intense, no more than a few weeks ago. and although she knew, because obi-wan had told her, that killing luke was what needed to be done in order for him to redeem himself finally, halo had started to doubt it. killing luke had made him so cold.

but this ben was different.

when he had reached out to her, he had called her by her name. so softly. the way he spoke reminded her of infinite nights under the stars at luke's old temple.

and when she reached back out to him, she was met with something so pure. and resolved.

it was him.

it only took the sacrifice of his mother to bring him back.

now, halo knew why leia was so insistent on giving herself up.

the falcon sped with everything it had toward the plumes of smoke that rose from his escape pod. his connection with halo was fragmented by his inability to keep conscious. but she kept the picture of him clear in her mind's eye. she was saving him. not kylo ren, but ben. the man she loved.

chewie swung the falcon around, bringing it to land quicker than she had ever seen. and when she made to exit it to retrieve ben, halo was stunned to see the wookie follow her.

"chewie?" she asked.

the wookie said nothing, but pushed past her toward the wreckage, determination set in his shoulders.

halo raised her brows, but didn't have time to push why chewie was interested in helping her save the man who had murdered han solo. all she could think about was ben, stuck somewhere in the pile of burning metal that lay before them.