Chapter 32: The Benefits of Physical Exercise

"So you are sure this had nothing to do with you?" Namjoon's manager asked.

Namjoon nodded quickly. "She said she noticed this guy showing up wherever she went two or three years ago, long before we ever... well, became friends again."

The manager nodded, looking off absently into the distance. "Which means that the only factor making you more likely to be hurt is you being around her."

"No, no, they caught him!" Namjoon said.

"Are you sure."

"Yes!" Namjoon tried to remember what Chunhwa had said. "The police caught him late that night, or probably early the next morning judging by how late the attack was."

His manager looked at him, eyebrow raised, and Namjoon threw up his hands. "What?"

"I don't think it's a good idea for you to be around your friend right now."

"But they caught him," Namjoon said, mind grasping at straws. Even if it was very rare for him to see Chunhwa, he did not want to be forbidden the option. "She said there was a police officer who was really kind to her, I can ask her for his number and you could call him to verify if that would make you feel better."

The manager sighed. "Namjoon..."

He ducked his head and pulled out his phone. "Here, I'll text her right now."

"I'm sorry, but she put you in danger. It's really not safe to be–"

"She put me in danger?" Namjoon asked, the text asking Chunhwa about the cop's number already sent. "The murderous creep put me in danger, not her. It's not her fault. And he's been caught."

"Why does this matter so much?"

Namjoon shrugged.

"How many times have you even seen your friend in the past year?"

"Maybe two or three," he said slowly.

"So would it really be that hard to just not see her for a while? It sounds like you hardly ever get together anyways."

Namjoon looked up at the manager, feeling hope drain away. "Well... I was hoping to get together soon." He got a text notification – Chunhwa. Three question marks followed the phone number and he realized he'd forgotten to actually explain his request. "Last time I saw her was right after the attack, when she was still in the hospital with bandages all over and a look of the worst... I don't know, shellshock? She looked like fear had settled along her skin, into her bones. That's not... not a good memory, I want to see Chunhwa and see that she's fine for myself."

"You could video-call, you know."

"Please," Namjoon said. "She sent me the phone number, please at least call the officer."

His manager sank heavily into a chair. "I guess." Namjoon read off the phone number as tiny beeps signaled it being dialed in.

The call was answered promptly. Namjoon watched as his manager introduced himself and asked about the case. "I'm sorry if it's a trouble, but I just wanted to verify." A pause. "You did indeed catch him, good. Oh, the police chief caught him?"

Namjoon's surprise mirrored his manager's. Chunhwa hadn't mentioned that little detail.

"Well that's splendid. Thank you very much." His manager hung up, then looked at him. "Well, now we know for sure that this person was caught. That doesn't change what happened, though, I hope you realize that. I still am not at all excited about the idea of you spending time near someone who almost got you shot."