4

Fuck this 8am

Fuck this 8am.

To think I have been doing this all semester.

I check my phone for the time, 7:59. Shit, I'm once again going to be late for this class. Usually, I don't even go because it's so early but today we had a 6:30 AM practice so my ass was running from the gym to the lecture hall. My body is on fire as I tug open the doors and my hair is still dripping from the shower I took after practice. I had to cut the practice short since I have class. While Coach let me leave, he did not let me forget I have to be an hour early to practice along with the other guys who have 8AMs.

I push open the lecture hall doors. Eyes are on me as I quietly shut the door behind me. Students stare but the professor remains seems oblivious to the fact that I slipped in late. I glance around the packed lecture hall to find an empty seat. If I wasn't at fucking practice, I could sit at my usual spot in the back. My eyes narrow in on the middle row. The brunette from the dining hall looks as bored as ever. She twirls a pen in her right hand looking off into the distance. Maybe I should come to this class more often. To be completely honest I didn't even know she was in this class.

She still hasn't noticed me as I walk down the stairs to the seat.

"Seat taken?" I ask her. She finally looks up at me and her light eyes studying me for a moment. Her face is covered in freckles and her long lashes add to her hazel eyes.

"Nah you're good," she replies coolly. She doesn't give me second look making me cock an eyebrow at her. I sit in the seat and ignore the girl to my left who is currently looking at me. More like eagerly staring. I glance over at her and shoot the other girl a smile.

"Hey, I'm Hayley," she says sending me a smirk. Her crop top shows off her small waist and she wears a tight pair of leggings. Her eyelashes are coated in mascara and she's pretty but nothing on the other girl next to me.

"Asher Fletcher."

"I know you, basketball star," she says giving me a flirty smile. I offer her one too, hey it's never too early to get a chick. A scoff from beside me makes both of us turn to the petite girl sitting beside us. Her arms are crossed over her chest and eyes trained to the front of the lecture hall. She glances at the two of us before back at the professor.

"Sorry," she mumbles. I stare at her side profile and her cute nose. Cute? Did I just say cute?

"What?" she snaps from beside me.

"I'm sorry but who are you?" the girls asks her. She tilts her head at the blonde girl her eyes a little darker than before almost in a challenging way. "Wait I know you. You're Carter Miller."

I see her eyes narrow and just by the way she sits up a little taller I can tell she did not like that comment. Her eyes flick to me and then to the girl sitting next to me. She tilts her head up and I can tell that she resisting every instinct she has to say something to this girl. I would be shitting myself if I were the girl who is currently getting this intense look. The blonde is looking like she regrets her words right now but I finally have the name to that pretty face.

Silently, she looks away from the two of us and back to the front of the room. Her jaw is clenched and she is stick straight in her seat. I don't know why but I feel like I need to say something to her. To help get that pissed off look away from her face.

"Everyone knows Carter Miller," the girl next to me whispers to me. Apparently I don't respond but I nod my head anyways.

I knew what it was like getting chased for clout. That shit is ass because you never know who is genuine or not. Now, I'm not too sure who this Carter Miller girl is and what she has to do with being known but I want to find out.

The class drags on and to be completely honest. I have not listened to a singular word this guy has said. With Carter's leg bouncing up and down and her anxiety radiating off of her, it's hard to focus. Plus the fact that every time she moves I get a whiff of her coconut and sunshine smell. I also can hear her fingers tapping away on her phone.

No doubt texting her friends about the little encounter. Her attractive face is scrunched up in a cute manner that I have to catch myself before my staring becomes a little too obvious. She has already put her notebook away on the last slide and she is ready to go. She is most likely thinking about all the ways she can run out of here without interacting with myself or the girl next to me.

"Okay, you guys are free to go but make sure you bring in a current events article for next class. You will turn in an annotated paper copy of it and a synopsis of it."

As soon as he's done Carter has her backpack over her shoulder and she's standing up. She looks at me expectantly. I give her a challenging look because I dare her to climb over me. It would be an amazing show. I can feel the girl on my other side shift but not get up.

"Uh, can I pass?" she asks tucking her phone into her back pocket. I keep my eyes focused on her tan legs spotting a bruise on her upper thighs. I debate my options here, should I try to egg her on more or leave her be?

My eyes flick down to her shirt and a smirk crosses my face. Her white shirt has UNC Basketball written on it in Carolina blue. I tilt my head at her, "Nice shirt."

She glances down at her oversized shirt and a look of realization crosses her face. I take the moment to look at her entire frame standing up. She looks up at me with a smirk of her own, "Oh? You like the team?"

"Oh ya know, you could say that," I say leaning forward a little more. She is basically my eye level when I am sitting down and she can't be over 5'2. Usually with girls under 5'5, I don't find them attractive but this one is completely different. The height fits her.

"Wow I would think a hotshot like you would be cocky about it," she says in fake shock. Her face is neutral and to be honest she looks bored. I frown.

"You know me?" I ask her as I reach for my backpack. I do have another class to get to but having a conversation with her is way more interesting than Astronomy.

"You know me." It's a statement, not a question. I wasn't expecting that response from her as she watches me put my bag onto my shoulders. I hadn't even noticed the girl leave from beside me or the fact that almost the whole lecture hall has cleared. I didn't know her until the girl beside me said her name.

"Don't flatter yourself," I respond standing up. She cranes her neck to look at me, hazel eyes narrowing at me and her pink lips are pursed. Holy fuck that look alone is making my shorts a little tighter in the front. Jesus fucking Christ.

"I'm not dumb, I heard the girl." She confirms my suspicions. I nod my head at her and glance at the empty seat where the bleach blonde girl once sat. Turing back to her, she stands expectantly at me.

"Alright, Carter Miller. How do you know me?"

She laughs at my comment and I think it could be one of the best things I have heard. Her eyes crinkle on the side and her smile is full blown across her face. I can't help but have a smile grow on my own face. It's contagious.

"Everyone knows you it's not like I live under a rock," she says in a duh tone. An amused look takes over my face as she frowns, "What?"

"I didn't say anything," I tell her holding my hands up in defense. She cocks an eyebrow at me. For her being so small she's a feisty little thing. It's undeniably hot and frustrating at the same time.

"You gave me a look," she states matter of factly. I look down at her confused. Her small frame is nothing compared to my 6'4 stature. She sighs, "Look as intriguing as this conversation is, I have to go to class."

I roll my eyes at her but move out of her way. Clearly the girl wants nothing to do with this conversation. Usually girls would never shut the fuck up when it comes to talking to me but no, she brushed me off like it was fucking nothing. Not only is she infuriating it somehow just makes her ten times more attractive. I watch as her perky ass struts out of the classroom that is filling up for the next lecture. Her wavy hair is cascading across her black backpack. As annoying as she is, she's still hot as fuck and I mean, who doesn't love a challenge?