Prolouge

All my life I've grown up worthless. Worthless to my guardians, to the world, worthless to anyone really. Growing up in a group home is no piece of cake. Babies come and go, but the older you get the less likely it is that you'll ever leave. Until you turn 18, then you're out on your own. I'm 15, I know by this point that I have no hope in being adopted, so I knew I was looking to what would happen when I turn 18. In truth, I was terrified of this reality. What would I be? Where would I go? My future didn't look bright. I needed to do something to make a brighter future for myself.

I was at the public library. Just browsing through different schools. I want to find a charter school that will accept me, preferably far away. Ive already applied several times to different schools over the years, but I wasn't going to stop until I get accepted to one. I've been working really hard to get good grades so that someone would accept me.

As I'm browsing through schools, one strikes me. Lincoln Heights Private School. There wasn't much information on it. It was prestigious and hard to get into. Year round dorms with all accommodations included. I don't know what it is about this school but I have a good feeling. I print off the application, knowing I'll have to have my school fax it with my records. The guidance counselor has been helpful with me filling out and faxing applications. I think she understands how bleak my life will be if I don't make any changes.

When I arrive home and open the door I'm greeted with the smell of stale tobacco. You would think our guardian would at least smoke outside but nope. I figure she's asleep as normal and walk through the house. Most of the other kids are sitting on the old dirty couch and watching tv.

"Have you guys eaten dinner?" I asked.

"No!" Most replied. A few said cereal or chips though. What a wonderful supper.

I set to work in the kitchen to make something. We don't have ingredients for much. Macaroni and cheese with hot dogs. I figured they'd at least appreciate it for being a hot meal. I was immediately shown correct as all 7 of them scarfed it down.

These kids make it hard to leave. If I ever make something of myself I will do my best to help them. This is no life for a child and no one deserves to live like we do.

I help them get ready for bed, we're all scattered into just 3 different rooms, but we make it work. If nothing else in this world we rely on each other. I was determined to make something of myself. For myself, and these kids. To show them we are more than just orphans.

My only real friend outside of the home was Thomas. He apparently had a lot of money. How, I don't know, I've never cared to ask. Thomas on more than one occasion had tried to get me to move in with him. Not in a creepy way, he wanted to take care of me. As much as my teenage hormones wished, there was nothing romantic between us.

I wasn't comfortable with that kind of gift though, he would be fully supporting me, and I couldn't let him do that. He had his own life to live, not providing for a teenager. He always wanted to help but I turned him down. It was sweet, I just couldn't accept such a generous offer, I'd never be able to repay him.

————————————————————————

About two weeks later Miss Ortega, the guardian, told me that a piece of mail had come for me. I tried not to get my hopes up. It had to be a letter from the newest school! I was hoping and praying that I was accepted, but preparing myself for another 'we regret to inform you' letter. After all, my resume didn't look too hot. I'm an orphan with nothing to my name. My last name is even a generic one given to me by the state.

I sat down on my bed with my letter in front of me. Just staring at it, as if I could will it into be an acceptance letter. I sighed and opened it.

As I read the first line I could hardly believe it! I'd been accepted!! At the beginning of the next school year I would be starting a whole new life! I celebrated with the other kids by making their favorite, pancakes!

"Do you really have to go?" A shy little girl named Amanda asked. She was 8 with freckles and red hair.

"I have to. My 18th birthday will come sooner than I'd like. This is my shot." I replied, I could feel their sadness in the air. "I will visit you guys as soon as I can! Once I'm able I'll make sure to try to help you guys. I'll miss you so much!"

I would be sad to leave them but this was something I had to do. I had a few months to prepare before I'd have to leave. Once school let out I planned to get a part time job to buy the supplies I'd need.

This was a fresh start for me and a chance for me to have a real shot at a good future!

————————————————————————

'Unknown' point of view

"Father, why do we even do the school for outsiders? I don't get it. Shouldn't we just have the school for our pack?" I ask.

"The school was founded over a hundred years ago for several purposes. One being the chance to find mates, they aren't always in the pack. Another being it gives everyone a chance to interact with humans in a safe place. To learn how they are and how to interact without rising suspicion." An older Man replied, "it wasn't my decision but it's what we inherited and what we'll continue. The revenue brought in from it also helps to support the pack."

I sigh and continue going through the applications for scholarships. We pick 10 a year just to keep interest in the school, usually charity cases. They're usually the best students, they usually aren't full of themselves like the rich kids that come. Those kids I could do without. I've grown up dealing with them though.

A name stands out to me and I hand it to my father.

"Noel Smith?" He asks and cocks and eyebrow. I just shrug and continue going through the stack. He looks it over and puts it in the approved pile. One down, nine to go.