Chapter Twelve: Exploding over Potions

Sadness is but a wall between two gardens

― Kahlil Gibran

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Slughorn stared at the pair of us.

"Is that all right?" He asks, looking concerned. We must've been wearing the same enraged expression because we both smile at him at the same time.

"Yes, of course, Professor." We say in unison. We whip around, glaring at each other again.

That was seriously creepy.

"Well. That's simply lovely." Slughorn says, walking away, shooting us looks every minute or so. I raise a brow at the Slytherin, shooing him over with my hands like he was a dog. I sit on the corner chair, and he looked enraged.

"I am not an animal." He hisses like a snake, eyes swirling in anger, and I remember that he was adept at Parseltongue. Poor Harry and Ettie. I think that was something my niece and nephew had inherited from the boy beside me when Voldemort had tried to kill the two as mere babies. My mood darkens instantly at the thought.

"Perhaps not a mammal, but maybe a snake suits you better Mr.Riddle." I hiss back, and he blinks in surprise at the utter hostility in my voice or perhaps at the meaning behind my words.

"Just don't get in my way." He orders snidely. I realize how much authority his voice held. It was low, with an agreeable trace of huskiness and with a hint of more power than a thirteen-year-old should have.

"Don't get into mine, and we have a deal," I order back, eyes not even bothering to look at him.

I open the book, looking at the note Slughorn had left me. I hum under my breath reading through it, with the paper in-between my right index finger and thumb. I was almost through it when the paper was swiped from my vision. "Excuse me?!" I demand in outrage, watching as Riddle read through it with barely concealed curiosity.

When he realized what it was, he literally throws it back on my book with a scoff. I shut my book, staring at the Slytherin, both my eyebrows raised expectantly. Tom realizes I was looking at him.