Short Story - Winter Lane

3rd POV

It was a quiet night in Inkopolis. Many of the stores were closed so that both the  owner's and the employees can spend time with their families. Others are out on time square to take part on the yearly Splatfest.

For Mia its different story. Those she take the time to look around the city and explore, she is doing her daily run to secure food for the few people she can call family. That and the fact she feels much more relaxed when she is outdoors. With her duffle bag full of food for the next few days, she was ready to go into an alley way to warp home. However, she walk by one store she saw something that brought some memories. It was a small store that contains many antics and trinkets. As she look around the display her eyes meet with a small wooden box with metal bits around it that has a skull keys on the side.

Flashback

"Big sister hurry up"

"Relax Johnny, the store doesn't close for another few hours."

"Yeah but all the cool stuff are going to be gone."

After some time walking, they reach a small store in the middle of the shopping center. As they walked in, they meet a familiar old man wearing a green sweater with a picture of Santa smiling face on the front with a brown overall.

"Hey Simon" Mia smiled and wave to the old man while Johnny ran up to the counter.

"Hi grandpa, got any cool stuff today?"

The old man chuckles and walk back to the store. Soon after, he came back with a small wooden box with a skull key.

"You may not be my grandson, but I still concider you family. Oh I still remember when you were a small baby with your mother and father. Here I save this one just for you." The old man gave Johnny a box.

Flashback ended

The scene change back to Mia looking at the window display. She quickly pick the door and enter without any trouble. She pick up the box from the display and inspected it. She open the box to reviled a small wooden skeleton with a priate hat holding a lute and wearing a single black boot and a wooden leg.

Flashback

"Wow this is so cool"

"If you turn this key here, then it plays a song go head try it."

Johnny did just as the old man told him and music began to play for only a few seconds. Johnny began jump around then ran to Mia

"Look sister look its a dancing singing pirate."

"That's cool bro, if you like it then buy it."

Johnny then began to look through his pockets but couldn't find his money he quickly began to look in his pockets faster until the old man interrupted.

"Don't worry Johnny, its free."

"Are you sure?"

"Lets call it a Christmas and birthday present from me." The old man chuckled while Johnny had a biggest smile on his face.

Mia check her phone for the time and her eyes widen. "Lets go Johnny if we don't go now, then we'll be late for dinner.

Flashback ended

Right when the song ended, Mia check the time. She knew that she has another few hours until she has to go back to the station. She put the music box into her jacket and walk out of the store making sure the door is locked behind her. She check the map and notice that there was a small park along the ocean. She slowly started making her way over while avoiding people along the way.

When she got there, she was the only one there. She pick up a few sticks and found an empty bench, took a seat and watch the stars durning the cold night sky. From a distance, she can see a broken statue but paid no mind to it. She quickly brush off the snow next to her and pulled out a cake from her duffle bag. She stuck some sticks and began to light them. After a short few seconds have pasted, she pulled out the same music box from her jacket she began to turn the key and the same small skeleton appear and began to play a small tune. While Mia was eating a cake.

Flashback

"C'mon big sister we have to get home before the lights turn on."

"Don't worry, if mom and dad ask, just tell them that the bus was in a traffic jam."

"But isn't that lying?"

"Not if they find out."

"NO, I won't lie to them. Lets have a race so we can get home FASTER."

"Sure if you want to lose. Ill even give you a head start."

Flashback ended

She check the time and realized that she  got to head to the ship she set her cake down, then tears began to form from her eyes.

"Im sorry Johnny if only I was faster then maybe you could still celebrate your birthday and Christmas with us." She quickly began to wipe her tears away, took a look at the lit candle cake, then began to be transported back to the station.

Soon a small breeze appear out of no where and blew out the candles on the cake as the music box slowly get slower and slower until it stops.