Boat contest and host banter

The next day, Senku gathered everyone to pitch them on the pirate thing. Though he kept telling you it had nothing to do with pirates, you just choose not to hear him.
It was impressive to see the two groups together like this. The Kingdom of Science and the Empire of Might, there was probably around a hundred people.
Magma and Yo got into a fight for calling each-other idiots, which you expected, knowing those two.

"The other side of the Earth?" Kohaku asked Senku. "There's no way you could walk there, could you?"
"Of course not. We gotta cross the ocean. Ah?"
Yuzuriha placed a pirate hat on his head. You softly gasped.

"What's this?" he asked.
"Well, I finally had the chance, so I figured I'd make it." she smiled.
'I have never been more attracted to you as I am right now.' you thought. '...it's too early to be open about that kind of stuff.'

Gen organized a contest for the next day: Senku, Magma and Yo will show everyone their design for the boat and the jury will pick the best. Gen and you being the jury.
"I may not be a boat genius," you said with an exited smile. "but I am a pirate expert!"
"That has nothing to do with boat-building!" Senku frowned.
"That's why the jury needs you (Y/n)-chan!" Gen smiled, ignoring what he said.
Senku sighed.

You spent the rest of the day working on your own project. You didn't want to put more work on the crafting team's shoulders, so you wrote notes about the different music and songs you could play with what you had right now. You figured at some point you'll have to go to the village to get your array mbira and djembe. But the way there and back here would take you about a week. So you decided to go after the contest tomorrow.

Suika, Ruri and the other kids went to you to ask you for another little music class. But because you were caught off guard and you didn't prepare anything, you stuck to play guitar for them, maybe talking a bit about said instrument, improvise something and hopefully they'll learn from it.

"String instruments are actually my least favorite one." you said as your group picked a spot somewhere and you sat down. "I mean, I still love them, but they hurt my fingers. I played them with gloves when I first started." you smiled at the memory.
You played a few random notes, gaining time to think of something to say. Looking around, you noticed Senku. He was solely focused on his blueprint for the boat, in his corner. You smiled and looked back at your class.

"You know, music can be used to help tell a story." you gestured towards him. "Look at Senku for example, keep looking at him."
They stared at him. He was now looking at the work he did so far, a hand on his chin and his eyes narrowed. You started to play, and your students' eyes widen. It was the kind of guitar solo you'd hear in a cow-boy western movie, lonely yet heavy in tension.
"We call it background music. When the characters," you paused, remembering they only have Ruri to tell stories. "I guess here the storyteller. When they're speaking, the music accompanies them. And in the modern world, sometimes you have those moments when the music can shine. And those are my favorite moments."

You looked closely at him, any changes shown in his expression or movements, you applied them in your music. At some point, Senku sighed, and he must've decided to take a short break because he finally broke out of his trance of focus and heard your guitar. You instantly stopped playing and looked away when he turned to look at you. Your class laughed as Senku, from where he was standing, tilted his head in confusion before walking away to get some snack.
"Sssh." you smiled at them.

Looking around again, you saw Kohaku and the guards working on their training. Kinrou and Ginrou were fighting Kohaku, it looked pretty intense.
"Now look over there." you pointed at them
You played again. This time, it was faster. It took you a little while to get the hang of their movements' rhythm, but you got the hang of it. You even tapped the guitar to add some light percussion into the mix. Your students were beyond delighted at such a scene. Your music brought something that made them more engaged in the action. They began to cheer on them, but when they looked over at you guys, you stopped and told them not to mind you, not wanting to bother them in their training.

"(Y/n)-chan-sensei!" Suika enthusiastically raised her hand. "Can you do that with everything?!"
You giggled at the title she named you.
"Uh, yeah? If I have some inspiration."
They all looked at you with stars in their eyes. You giggled again.
Being a teacher wasn't as bad as you thought it'd be.

So after that, you guys created a little game. You'd play something and they'd have to act a scene based on the atmosphere the music brought. It was pretty fun, especially when you'd pull a twist on them and completely change the pass. For example going from happy-go-lucky to tense and on edge.

The next day, everyone gathered for the contest.

"Alright~! It's tiiiime for the big show!" Gen exclaimed. "The contest between everyone's boat idea!"
"It's Senku vs. Magma vs. Yo. A three way match, this is a very first for the world of boat building! Isn't this exiting Asagiri?" you asked, matching his host-energy perfectly.
"I hear you (L/n), I hear you loud and clear! Loud, and, clear~!"

"They're so in sync when it comes to that kind of thing." Suika said.
"How long did they prepare for this...?" Kohaku asked herself.
All of last evening.

"Our contestants Senku and Magma look as ready as ever, meanwhile Yo seems to be comfortable in his corner. Just straight up vinbing!"
"I tell you (L/n), I have never seen someone so confident to win since the Halloween magic show competition of 2017!"
"Our contestants are taking their time to account for the wind, the solidity of the ground, the size of the board compared to their blueprint, the course their lives is taking, the tragedies of war..."
"This is getting kinda boring."
"But we are paid by the hour, so, I don't know about you Asagiri, but I'm good!"

"Oh! Magma is stepping forward first!"
"Magma. That boy has quite the record, his stats are heavily leaning on the pure strength side. A S+ if you ask me."
"And a complete opposite in probably everything else."
"Let's see what he came up with-Woah!"
"What?! That's actually really good!"
"Ah~ yes, Asagiri let's not forget that the Ishigami village is surrounded by water. Their main dish is fish with fish on the side. It is logical that they have a fair amount of boat-knowledge. It's called, checking your sources Asagiri!"
"Or maybe it's just because you lived there for almost a year now (L/n)."
"Oh! Even Senku 'man with a plan' Ishigami is impressed, now that is something!"
"Magma's concept seem to have shocked Yo out of his cool facade. It even broke his eye mask!"
"A move, though quite comical, must be terribly painful! He now seems reluctant to show his boat. Which, he previously stated, was already completed."

"Oh! And folks, it seems Ace-Detective Suika is at it again! She just exposed Yo's work! Now I'm not suppose to give my opinion, but I understand why he's want to keep it hidden away."
"Must bring back some high-school memories, huh Asagiri?"
"Ahaha! You..." he paused, still smiling. "Horrible person."

The two of you broke character and snickered, with you hiding your face in your hands and Gen covering his mouth with his sleeve. The audience laughed out loud though. At this point, you both relied on your improv skills, and they were apparently too on point.
"But, in fact it did." he kept talking as you hit his arm, still trying not to laugh. "Ah, it looks like it's Senku's turn to show us what he came up with."
You took a deep breath, wiping a tear away before looking back to the contest.

"WHOA!"
"My oh my~! I don't know about you folks but given her and your reaction, I think we all agree on the winner here. And that quite the reaction! (L/n) your mouth is still open!"
"A-sa-gi-ri!" you clapped your hands at each syllable. "I just had a pirate flashback watching this! I could feel the ocean sickness that I don't have from here!"
"You mean like a flashback with pirates, or you were the pirate in this flashback?"
"Senku is the winner! Let's make that boat baby!"
"Again, do you mean 'boat, baby' or 'boat-baby'?"
"...Gen."
He laughed at your 'can you not' tone and the look you gave him.

Now, Kohaku at first thought this host thing was stupid. Why commentating and explaining something when everyone can see it with their own eyes. But now she was laughing with everyone else. Because damn, you guys were good.