Chapter Seven: Roommates - Temporary

Niall's POV

I get woken up by a phone call. I check the time on the watch sitting on my bedside table. It's half past noon. I grab my phone and seeing Lucy's name on the screen I jump and immediately answer.

'Hello, darling! What's up?'

'Niall...' She cries. 'I'm not okay...'

'What is it? What's wrong? You were fine yesterday! We were hanging out watching the game. What happened when you got home?'

'I don't like it here. It's empty... I don't feel safe here. I know it's ridiculous but I just can't stand being here all alone and Jamie is out of town for a week. I can't... I can't stay here! Can I...'

'Crash at mine? Of course. But Deo might be around. Would that be okay?'

'Yeah yeah, no problem! As long as I'm not alone and not in here.'

'Okay. Do you need me to pick you up? I just woke up. I'll take a quick shower and come get you.'

'No, it's fine. I'll come on my own. You take your time getting out of bed.'

'Are you sure?'

'Yeah, I'm sure! See you in a bit. Thank you.'

'No need to thank me, darling. See you soon! Bye.'

I hang up sighing throwing my head back into my pillow.

I take my time getting up, checking my messages, taking a warm shower, then finally go to the kitchen for some breakfast.

'Oh, by the way, Luce is coming over soon she'll be staying here for a while.'

'Why?'

'What do you mean why? She's my girlfriend if she wants to stay here she can. I'm not asking you to not be here. She knows you live here too and I checked with her. She's fine with it.'

'That's not what I meant!' He rolls his eyes. 'I meant is she okay?'

'Oh... I don't know... She's not. I don't know what happened. All she said is that she doesn't feel safe in her house and she doesn't want to be alone.'

'Doesn't feel safe? Did someone break in or something?'

'She didn't say anything of the sort. She just said Jamie is out of town and that her house is empty.'

'If it's just loneliness she would've asked you to come over instead her coming here. It doesn't make sense.'

'Yeah, maybe. I guess we'll try to know more once she gets here. Are you sure you don't mind?'

'You want us to be friends no? This is the perfect opportunity. Plus I can't really say no. It's your house.'

'Deo don't be like that.'

'I'm just kidding! Relax. You know, last night she called me "D" it's been a long time since someone called me that.'

'More like a long time since you let anyone call you anything other than by your name.'

'I just feel like I'm too old for nicknames... I don't know. But it didn't feel weird when she did it. I didn't notice until she was out of the room.'

"Awww!!! That's great! You two are bonding!'

'Yeah, yeah, whatever. By the way!!! How can you not tell her about May!!! You've been dating for long enough! She needs to know!'