01.

TO THE HILT
PART ONE
CHAPTER ONE

EXPENSIVE FABRIC FLOWED THROUGH HER VISION, in every colour possible

EXPENSIVE FABRIC FLOWED THROUGH HER VISION, in every colour possible. She contrasted them all in her grey gown. Leora had a glass of wine hanging daintily from her hand, watching the partygoers socialize and enjoy themselves. Though alone, she was having a pleasant time. There was a war occurring around them but it was out of mind for now. Tonight, they were celebrating a marriage. When she received the invitation, she was surprised. Padmé Amidala was a very serious young woman, who fought hard to do what was best for the galaxy at all times. It was surprising that she had any spare time at all. Let alone, any time to fall in love. But Padmé deserved it, surely, everyone could agree.

The bride herself twirled with her new husband on the dance floor, adorned in intricate lace and beading. She watched them in admiration and jealousy.

A chair screeched over the tiles and she turned instinctively. A man sat down beside her, hastily grabbing a full drink from the centre of the table. She ran her eyes over him, then came to the quick conclusion she knew who he was: Anakin Skywalker. He didn't look at all pleased to be at the party; his brows were creased, his breaths heavy and many, and he was slumped over in his chair. He was handsome, though. Like they said.

"Something on your mind?" She spoke and he seemed to notice her for the first time. Anakin sat straighter, seemingly embarrassed.

"I'm sorry if I've bothered you," he said politely. "Sometimes I get lost in my mind and hardly notice what's happening around me."

"Is that a practical trait for a Jedi to have?"

"No," there was a glint in his eye that told Leora he understood her lighthearted joke. "Ask Obi Wan, or any of the council for that matter. They'll tell you exactly what they think of my wandering mind."

His sense of humour was short lived. Leora watched his line of sight, wondering what had him so displeased. Padmé spun into their view once again, causing the young Jedi to sip more heavily on his drink. Leora could deduce what that meant.

"Unrequited lover, I assume?" Leora attempted to tease again. He gave a half-hearted smile.

"You are mistaken, my lady," he said to her, as if it were a mantra he constantly repeated and reread. "Jedi are forbidden the luxury of love."

"That's inconvenient since it is so obvious that you are, in fact, in love." Leora looked at Padmé, shining across from them, the white fabric of her wedding dress angelic against her porcelain skin. "Or have I misinterpreted your longing stare?"

Anakin breathed a heavy sigh. Leora had won; he was admitting defeat. "I suppose you've caught me in a vulnerable moment. I've harboured feelings for Padmé since I was a child... but they code was always in the way."

Leora hummed, proud to have gotten the glorified man to open up to her so swiftly. She leaned in closer, her voice dropping in volume, until she was sure nobody around them could hear their private conversation.