37. Blinded By Love

As soon as I said his name, Joey, Cameron, and Sam glanced my way with an unreadable expression

As soon as I said his name, Joey, Cameron, and Sam glanced my way with an unreadable expression. Shit, I don't even know why he's calling me. "Yeah, uh, hey," Kevin said in an excited tone.

Hey? I laughed under my breath.

"Kevin, why are you calling me? I'm hanging up. Don't call me again."

I slowly walked away from the staring group and almost took my phone off my ear to hang up when Kevin yelled, "Wait, no. Let me just—whatever, how have you been?"

I pressed my phone to my ear, and ruefully laughed. "Is this a joke? What do you want?" I barked.

"Why are you acting like that?"

I laughed, rolling my eyes. "In case you forgot, we were together for two years, and you broke up with me for your ex. You had me thinking everything was fine, and you just left me."

He breathed out. "Riley, you know she was my first love."

"Okay, and what was I? Some damn rebound? Why did you even get me with me in the first place? She cheated on you, right?" I said with wide eyes.

My legs shook with anger. "Riley, you know why I got with you. Don't be like that."

My voice cracked. "No, please tell me. Why, Kevin? Why?"

He took a while to speak, but when he did, he pissed me off even more. "Well, I mean, you're hot."

"Unbelievable! I don't know why I wasted so much of my time with someone like you. You have one minute to tell me what you want." I roared, unsure why I gave him time to speak. Maybe for closure? But, fuck him!

He quickly spoke after sighing. "I called to say I regret breaking up with you. I regret going back to someone that won't stop messing around. I want you back, Riley."

I froze in place, shaking my head to the bullshit that just came out of his mouth. Never in a million years would I go back to someone that put me second and then tried to get me back. I couldn't see that our relationship was so one-sided and that he used me for his appearance and sex. Kevin never took me anywhere and never treated me like his girlfriend. And I stayed because I thought I was in love. Looking back, that's not love. He never listened to me or asked questions about who I was outside of campus. I feel stupid for letting myself fall so blindly with someone like him. I'm guessing his "first love" probably cheated on him again, and he's running back to me.

"Riley, did you hear what I said?" Kevin repeated himself.

I stammered. "I don't come second to anyone, Kevin."

He fought against my reply. "You were never second, baby, you were always first."

I slowly blinked. "I feel bad for you. Why do you think this is okay? As a matter of fact, don't answer that. Please don't ever call my phone ever again."