Chapter 31: Groundwork

After breakfast—which consists of ground oats mixed with cinnamon, apple slices, and steamed milk—I return to our room to get dressed, throwing on a thick pair of wool tights, trousers, a long-sleeved shirt, a brown leather jacket, and a long fur cloak that reaches the floor. Lacing up my boots, I look up to see Crispin is still deciding what to wear.

Since waking up, he has shaved his beard giving him a boyish appearance and has trimmed his hair, making him resemble the arrogant prince I had first met. Still, I cannot deny how handsome he looks, even more so now if it were even possible.

His green eyes land on mine and he gives me a crooked grin. "Keep looking at me like that and I'll have to pull you back into that bed," he teases, glancing at the tousled sheets.

My face heats up and I smirk, remaining silent as I continue to watch him as he finishes getting dressed. He dons a pair of fitted trousers, a long-sleeved shirt under a thick wool tunic, and a tan sheepskin jacket lined with sherpa. After slipping on his boots, we walk hand-in-hand to the stables to saddle up our horses. 

When I see my pinto, a sense of nostalgia washes over me as the past five months we've shared together resurfaces in my mind. I brush his coarse mane and rest my head on his sturdy neck, glad that he remembers me as he nickers.

"Do you plan on leaving me for your horse?" Crispin teases as he adjusts his mare's blanket, "You seem quite attached to it."

Rolling my eyes, I push myself off my mount and walk over to the vast wall which holds our tack, grabbing a blanket and saddle before returning to my horse. "Sometimes I wonder what decrepit things must have happened to you as a child to have such a tasteless sense of humor," I reply with a smirk, tossing the blanket over his strong back.

"Oh I could tell you a few stories that might answer your questions," a voice pipes up and I turn around to see Thomas strolling in. His dark hair is pulled back into a bun and he appears to be dressed for the cold weather as we are and I realize that he intends to join us.

"Maybe you can during the ride," I say with a grin.

I hear Crispin groan from behind me and I turn to face him. "Please tell me you aren't coming along with us today," he says, pulling the strap under his mare's torso, tightening the saddle so it stays in place.

Thomas gives a chuckle and walks over to the first stable to the right, petting a gorgeous black and white appaloosa. "Who else is supposed to make sure the two of you stays out of trouble?"

Though I enjoyed the idea of Crispin and I having the entire day to ourselves, I have to admit having the company of his brother seems equally entertaining as well.

Crispin sighs and goes back to fiddling with his saddle and I can't help but smile in bemusement at his discontent.

"Need some help?" Thomas asks, eying the heavy leather saddle that sits at my feet. Normally I would decline seeing as that I've repeated the action countless of times during our journey, but I give him a nod anyway.

With a satisfied look on his face, he walks over and picks up the saddle, hoisting it into the air and positions it on my stallions back. "Thank you, I'll take it from here though," I say. He gives me a polite nod and returns to his appaloosa.

Buckeling and tightening the straps under my horses torse, I walk over and grab the remaining tack before finishing up. When I'm done, I shove my boot in the stirrup and hoist myself up, feeling content to be back in the saddle.

Crispin leads his mare over before looking up at me through his dark lashes, obviously annoyed at his brother's presence. I can't help but smile and lean forward, gently brushing my hand over his cheek hoping it'll bring him some reprieve.