19 - real

It's 4 a.m and my phone is ringing.

To say the call was unexpected would be an understatement.

It was so incredibly shocking that I had to look at the caller ID a few times before actually reaching over and grabbing the phone from my nightstand.

'Hello?' I croak into the phone. My voice is groggy and my eyes are squinting into the darkness of my own bedroom. I hear sniffling, and a soft whimper from the other end of the line and immediately my heart softens for her. 'Noelle, is everything alright?' I ask. I'm sitting up now, I push my covers away and I stand up.

I can hear Noelle's ragged breath on the other end and I'm about to speak again but I finally hear her voice. 'Ella.' She says, and it comes out sounding like more of a whisper. 'I-I'm sorry if I scared you but I just.. I need someone right now.'

None of it mattered. Not the fight, not her betrayal, not her lack of compassion for me and my personal life. What mattered in that moment to me was making sure Noelle was okay because in the end, she was still my friend.

I still cared. Whether I wanted to or not.

'Of course.' I say putting on my shoes in a hurry, I'm still in my pajamas but I'm ready to go over to her no matter what messed up or disorderly state I'm in. 'I'm coming over right now, are you home?' I ask heading towards the door.

Her voice stops me in my tracks. 'No.. no Ella don't come over. I can't bare to be here another second.' She admits, letting out a tired sigh. Noelle inhales deeply once again before continuing. 'I'll come to you. Where do you live?'

I almost laughed. But I didn't.

It's still odd to me that she has known me for so many years and has no clue of my living situation, or of my current whereabouts. But I dismiss it, because this isn't about me right now.

It's about her.

'Ella?' She asks sensing my hesitation.

I walk back over to my bed and sit down. 'Okay. I'll send you my address.' I say and with that we end the phone call.

***

As I wait impatiently on the infamous bench, the bench where Drew spent many a nights drinking and drowning himself in sorrow. I can't help but panic.

I tap my leg frantically on the ground. It's chilly outside but my buzzing mind takes the icy cold feeling away, and instead I'm left to swim in my own thoughts.

For years the one thing that kept me distant from my friends was my secrets. My big dark secrets. The ones they never got to discover because they were never concerned enough to ask about me.

To see how I was.

I didn't want them to know about my dad, about his abuse towards me and my mother and Aaron. I didn't want them to know about the house I lived in and was terrified of going back to every day. I didn't want them to know about any of it.

But now I think it's time Noelle see's the real me.

I hear her car pulling up outside, I rush to open the gate and when she exits her car I expect her to ask questions, to maybe wonder why I live here, in this tiny apartment compound whilst she lived in a gigantic mansion with her wealthy two parents.