c h a p t e r t w o : s t o r m

STORM'S POV

It took everything in me to not turn the groupies in front of me into dust.

I felt the familiar ache in between my eyebrows start to increase, reminding me that the mortals in front of me loved to do everything to piss me off.

Instead of acknowledging my anger towards them, the scientists continued taking notes, slight smiles present on their expressions.

The audacity.

I let out a breath in an attempt to calm myself down, but it only resulted in my desire to shove their notebooks up their asses even more.

I turned my head to the right, meeting the eyes of the terrified human in the corner of the tank.

Pathetic.

I raised an eyebrow at the cowering man as I assessed his movements.

They seriously thought that he could overpower me?

I was about to scoff at their imbecility.

"Stupid humans," I muttered underneath my breath, air bubbles escaping my mouth.

Somehow, and I don't know-how, the eyes of the human in the corner widened.

I crossed my arms across my chest and looked back at the blue wall.

I clenched my teeth in annoyance as I heard a voice coming from the coward's earpiece.

"Matthew, interact with Subject C83U-23."

I was about to roll my eyes so hard that I would be able to see the back of my head.

They seriously couldn't be any less creative with naming me?

C83U-23? Seriously?

Jacob would have been a better name than that.

I saw Martin begin moving from my peripheral vision, visibly gulping as he did.

On second thought, I was happy with the numbers. I wouldn't be able to stand being called Jacob.

I turned my head around again, focusing my attention on Michael.

I felt a blue glow wash over my vision as I smirked at the trembling mess.

Do humans not understand the simple meaning of personal space?

The dumbass moved closer.

And then I noticed something shining in his hand.

It was a transparent gemstone that seemed to trap a black storm inside it forever.

Blue waves were shaped into lightning bolts that escaped the thunder.

Merfolk is the strongest species in the world, invincible even.

Except for one gemstone, no matter how big or small, it could cause tremendous pain or death.

And that gemstone was staring straight at me.

A Lightning Ridge Black Opal.

A feeling of strength rushed through me, overpowering all my senses.

My tail hastened in speed and slammed into Michael, causing him to crash into the glass.

A deafening sound followed and I saw the transparent material crack.

But in the middle of all the chaos, I heard a faint gasp.

In the corner of the room, her slender body stilled, commanding my attention.