Chapter Sixteen

A/N:

Time: 5:00am
Time I have to get up: 8:00am
Insomnia: 3
B: 0

🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Vinces's POV)

"You want in?" I asked, shocked and confused.

"Yes."

"You said you were happy living your defense attorney life."

"I am, but I still want in."

"Want in on the business side or the family/team side?"

"Both, but more of the latter."

I scoffed.

"I'm serious, Vincenzo. I'm willing to move to the US."

"What makes you think I trust you?" I asked.

"Don't you? You let me come say hi to Juliet."

"Stefano was in here."

"I could've hurt him."

"You're not going to take no for an answer are you?"

"I'm not. I'm a defense attorney, I argue for a living."

I sighed. "It's not just up to me."

"Juliet?"

"Juliet, the twins, Giovanni, Stefano, and Phoenix."

"Not Knox?"

"Knox is a dumbass." I said rolling my eyes.

"You're the almighty Il Diavolo, why is it partially up to them?"

"Because I appreciate their input. I may not always listen to it, but I appreciate it."

I then took a second to study him.

"You want away from Ottavio, don't you?"

"That too. He's just like Santino was. I can't stand it."

"We can give it a test run."

"A test run?"

"You can come back to America with us and we'll see how things go. If they're good then you can stay. If they aren't good then I'm shipping your ass back here. Understood?"

"Understood. Thank you."

I checked my watch. "Jet leaves in two days at noon. Don't be late because we will leave without you."

As soon as he left, Juliet spoke.

"That was nice of you."

"You eavesdropping?"

"No, we're sleeping. See?" Phoenix said, as he began to make snoring sounds.

"Knock it off." I said, gently smacking his leg.

"So he's coming with us?"

"I guess."

"That'll go well with Val and Enzo. They're about as big on new arrivals as you are, meaning they tend to shoot new arrivals and ask questions later."

"Not Enzo." Juliet said. "He's my good boy."

"And Val?"

"He's my....my mini Vince." She smiled.

"I'll call and warn them in advance. The others too."

"He seems like he really cares." Juliet said.

"Jules,"

"I know, I know. Can't trust anybody until you can. Whatever that means." She said, rolling her eyes.

I left the room to briefly call the twins. They were confused and skeptical about the whole older brother thing, but they said they'd...try.

When I got back to the bedroom, Juliet was actually asleep this time. What really got me was that she was curled up against Phoenix.

"She's a cuddler." Phoenix said.

"I'm well aware. She thinks that if she cuddles you in her sleep then you can't leave her." I explained. "She usually sleeps with her arms and legs impossibly tangled with mine. Half the time, I can't even get up to piss. I gotta wait till she wakes up."

"I should've pissed before this then, huh?"

"That would've wise." I said as Stefano walked in.

"Like a koala." He laughed, once he saw Jules attaches to Phoenix.

"Exactly." We both agreed.

"I came to tell you that we have a visitor."

I groaned. "Why do people keep showing up? It's the middle of the f*cking night."

I walked out to the living room and found Barese waiting for me.

"What the f*ck are you doing here?"

"I heard what happened and I came to check on your wife."

"My wife?"

"Yes, I met her at the meeting the other day. I also gave her useful information for finding you and your men. How is she doing?"

"She's asleep."

"And the ghost?"

"He's fine. They're both fine." I said.

"Good. Good."

"Is that all?" I asked.

"No, there's one more thing."

"Let's hear it then. I don't have all f*cking night."

"We're not allies, but we're not enemies."

"Yes...."

"I want to change that."

"You want to be enemies?" Knox asked from behind me.

"Gio," I said before hearing a smacking sound followed by Knox cursing. "You want to allies."

"I do."

"Why?"

"Your wife. I admire her bravery and commitment to you, your men, and the business. She's one of a kind. Most women, who aren't born into this life, are afraid of us all. They avoid us at all costs. They are given warnings about us. Juliet wasn't born into this life, but she has embraced and accepted it all for you. I admire that."

"So you want to be allies because my wife inspires you? Am I getting this right?" I asked cocking my head to the side.

"Yes. You can benefit from this deal and so can I. It's a win-win."

"A win-win?"

"Mhmm."

"Can I think about it?"

"Of course. Your wife knows my phone number. Please call when you've decided."

After he left, I turned around to see a shocked Gio.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"Barese is no ones ally. He keeps him and his business to himself. Despite that, he is the second wealthiest and powerful family in the country. It can't hurt and if it turns bad, you can always shoot him."

"Point taken." I said. "Chase after him. Tell him that he's got a deal and we'll discuss it more in detail later."

"Yes, sir."

I slouched down on the couch and grabbed a glass of whiskey.

I came to Italy for, what was supposed to be, a simple business meeting. Instead, I was shot at and taken hostage by my family, who everyone though was dead. My wife turned into a badass and saved all our asses. Then she and one of my best friends get shot and they both almost die.

"F*ck." I muttered, thinking about it all.

"What is it?" Vera asked.

"I just wanna f*cking go home. F*ck this shit."