40. Caught

"Wake up, dummy!" I playfully joked, rocking Joey over with both hands as he napped

"Wake up, dummy!" I playfully joked, rocking Joey over with both hands as he napped. When he finally peeled his eyes open, he beamed as if he were happy to see me. He laid flat on his back and crossed his arms behind his head.

I traced my finger around his face as he spoke, "I just had a weird-ass dream."

I hummed. "Tell me about it?"

He shook his head. "Maybe another time." He laughed it off, but I could tell he was entirely off by whatever he dreamed about during his nap.

I didn't even care to know. I just wanted to tell him what happened. "You're the first person I wanted to tell this to because—"

Joey abruptly stopped me. "Wait, are you—"

I arched my eyebrow, confused. "Am I what?"

Again, he shook his head and slowly blinked his eyes. "Uh, nothing! Never mind."

My face twisted as I threw my legs over him and sat on his lap. "Well, thanks to you, I spoke to my Dad." I didn't peel my eyes off his face, waiting for his reaction.

Joey's eyes widened as they met my gaze with a big smile on his face. "What? Shit. How did it go?" I froze. I loved nothing more than seeing how something about myself made him so interested and happy for me. His eyes lit up, igniting a burning fire within my body. This is me finally admitting my feelings for Joey.

I like him. I'm slowly falling for him in such a short time, and I can't deny that any longer. He's someone I should have never let things get this far with, and I shouldn't have pursued him, but I did, and I don't regret it. Joey made me feel things that I've never felt before, and I don't see how I would ever get over that feeling. He makes me laugh until I damn near turn colors, and he's aggressive but gentle with me. Being with him reminded me of how I should be treated and how my heart should feel.

I took the time to get to know him, his likes and dislikes, and continuing to learn everything about him. God, three months ago, I wouldn't have figured coming here and falling for someone that just wanted sex when I first met them. And his witty retorts. Someone that ran through women like candy. Then again, I never once felt a spark when I kissed anyone else. He's so perfect in his own way and doesn't know it.

"Uh, he wants to meet and talk to me about everything. He promised if I let him in, he won't up and leave us again." I flickered my eyelashes at him and wrapped my legs around him as he sat up.

Joey ran his hands down both sides of my arm. "Just keep a wall up when you go. I don't want you to be hurt again."

"Thank you for pushing me. I wouldn't have done it without you." I honestly said, roaming my eyes around his face.

With a slight smile, he said, "You don't have to thank me. Besides, you did this on your own." Joey shrugged his shoulders, dragging his hands to my waist.

I breathed out as I sucked my lip between my teeth. "No. Joey, you were the one that told me to face my fears. You also told me that it's okay to be scared of something that you'll be right here with me. This was you, and I can't thank you enough for pushing me out of my comfort zone again."

Joey had a calming look on his face as I watched his eyes sparkle. "I also told you that he realizes what he lost. You're the type of person that doesn't go unnoticed. You're extremely unforgettable, Riley." Joey rested his finger under my breasts, not breaking eye contact.

"Whichever way this goes, with my Dad, I'll still be happy I made the decision anyway," I said.

"Thatta girl."

I threw my head back and faintly laughed under my breath. I'm so proud of myself for taking this step, and I know he is as well. I have to learn how to stop living, thinking people are out to hurt me, and that's something I'm willing to work on.

"I want you to know, and I hope it follows you wherever you go that you're more than good enough. If anything, that person should be worried about whether he's good enough for you. Nothing is wrong with you." Joey assured me as my shoulders dropped.

I closed my eyes and opened them. "You mean that?"

He raised his eyebrow. "I wouldn't lie to you."

"I'm just—"

Joey cut me off. "I'm dying to kiss you right now."

I hummed, scooting back to rub him through his shorts. "Well, I was thinking of something else." Without breaking eye contact, I reached in his pants, tracing my fingers over his length. Joey wet his lips, giving me control as he laid back.

As I stroked him, Joey removed his hands from his head and pulled my nipple through my shirt. His hand traveled behind my neck before pushing me down to his lips. With my ass in the air, I kissed him as he gripped my flesh. I knew this was where I belonged, and I didn't want to be anywhere else. I didn't hold back one bit; I knew I wanted him. I wanted him today, tonight, tomorrow, and every day.

His hands slipped up my shirt, exposing my back as our lips smacked together.

It's probably crazy to say, but Joey's my muse. I've seen arrogant and cocky Joey, fun Joey, goofy Joey, hurt Joey, and the caring Joey. I witnessed him at a low point, and we got through it. He got through it. I wish I had the courage to tell him how much he meant to me. I wished I could take every bit of pain away from him. Mostly because I only had two days left in Florida. I didn't know what to do. I didn't even know if Joey wanted a relationship or wanted to be with anyone. This could be a game to him, and that's what hurts the most. But I'm living in the moment, spending as much time as I can with him.

As Joey reached for my shorts, his door opened. "Joey, I—"

My body went into shock, hearing Sam's voice and knew damn well we were busted right in the act. I cursed under my breath, feeling my heart drop slowly and painfully.

Her voice badly cracked. "Are you . . . fucking kidding me?"

I jumped from Joey's lap and turned to face my best friend, whose face turned a different shade. The look in her eyes was so disappointing, and I didn't know what to do or say. My mouth remained wide open as she motioned her eyes between Joey and me.

Tears burned through my eyes, knowing she'd probably never trust me again. I should've just fucking told her.

I caught my breath. "Sam!"

A single tear dripped from her big brown eyes as she turned around to race out of Joey's bedroom. I fixed my shirt and frantically ran after her, hoping we didn't fuck up too bad.