14.

With three days until the First Task the school was engulfed in a buzz of excited chatters

With three days until the First Task the school was engulfed in a buzz of excited chatters. Cedric couldn't walk more than five feet down the corridor without being wished good luck. It was particularly encouraging after the article published in the Daily Prophet failed to even mention him as one of the Hogwarts Champions.

The article instead dedicated several pages to Harry Potter and his tragic past and blossoming romance with Hermione Granger.

Mr. Diggory was furious. Cedric had received several letters from his father after the article was published, each one seemed more passionate than the last. Cedric was becoming quite annoyed of the constant owl deliveries, after their family Owl, Hodios, dropped the latest letter in Cedric's bowl of porridge.

Cedric wished Hodios would show is grievances for being overworked towards his father, instead of his breakfast.

Cedric found it oddly satisfying, as he vented to Malcolm about his annoyances with his father as they walked down the muddy path to the village of Hogsmeade that Saturday. Malcolm had always been a good listener, and Cedric was particularly grateful for the well thought advice he offered.

It was the first Hogsmeade trip of the year, coming later than usual, most likely due to the challenges the staff had been forced to deal with upon the arrival of two new schools. Regardless of the timing, Cedric was eternally grateful to get out of the castle and enjoy the day.

As the First Task approached Cedric was beginning to feel the weight of stress that came with being a school champion. When he wasn't studying or working on homework for his classes he was in the library, learning spells, and dueling against Malcolm, Alfie or Heidi in preparation.

Still, there were no hints of what the champions would be faced with that upcoming Tuesday, and the anxiety of not knowing was eating away at Cedric.

Cedric found some solace in an unlikely source: Fleur Delacour. The two could often be seen leaving the Great Hall together, discussing everything but the First Task that awaited them.

His conversations with Fleur had become a welcomed vacation from all the daunting talks about the danger they were both about to face. They were perhaps the only ones who could truly understand what the other was going through. Harry and Krum were celebrities; whereas Cedric and Fleur were nothing more than students.

Cedric and Malcolm met Fiona and Heidi in the Three Broomsticks. Alfie had been forced to stay behind to serve detention with Professor McGonagall for jinxing the corridor outside the Gryffindor common room to turn to ice any time a student walked through.

Heidi and Fiona were giggling and whispering into each others ears about something. Cedric assumed it was about Roger Davies, who left the table to get more butterbeer for Fiona and himself.

Cedric had always liked Roger. He appeared to be spending more time with the group of Hufflepuff students. Cedric couldn't help but notice this change had only occurred after his name came out of the Goblet. He determined it'd be best not to bring this up to Fiona, who seemed happier than usual when they were accompanied by him.