John Lennon - You Don't Get Me - Part 2

You might want to go back and read part one of this story. I know I had to.

-

You and Jacob had fallen into a kind of ritual in your new house. Monday to Friday you'd wake up, go to school and work, come home and have dinner, go to bed. But the weekends were different. When John would visit his boy, everything was different. You could hardly ever predict what John had planned; gifts, meals out, road trips, short holidays. He would ask you to go every time. If it was just going to lunch, you agreed. But there really wasn't anything that could convince you to sit in a car with John for a prolonged period of time. You were worried about Jacob getting the wrong idea and thinking you were getting back together. But the weekends were always different.

Especially that weekend in April of 1970.

After reading an article titled; 'PAUL QUITS THE BEATLES', you were confused and alarmed. You'd heard nothing about any trouble between the boys. Though you had been out of the loop for a over a year, Paul had called a number of times when John left, just to check up and ask how you were. You'd even get the odd call from Linda, Paul's wife, who was also very supportive throughout the past year. But they hadn't said anything about the band breaking up and the phone calls barely happened now John was back in his son's life.

All you could do was ask John about it. That's if he even came this weekend. You could understand if he didn't, given the circumstances.

"Mum, Dad isn't here yet. What time is he coming?" Jacob asked, eyes flicking over to the clock.

"4 o clock. When the big hand is on 12 and the little hand is on 4, okay?"

"He hasn't got long or he'll be late!"

"I'm sure you can let him off for being late, can't you? He never normally is." You smiled, making a mental note that you needed to cut his hair, because it was getting as long as his Dad's.

Jacob nodded. His little eyes watched the clock like a hawk. He kept running over to the window and then back to his toys. You couldn't help feeling guilty, despite there being nothing you could really do. It was John's news to share. You'd explain if he didn't show up but otherwise, it was only right to let John explain it to him.

"What if he stops coming again?" His tiny voice asked, laced with worry.

What could you say to that? Times like that reminded you why you stuck with the decision to not take John back. He'd stopped visiting Jacob for two months. He wasn't even at his sixth birthday party. You'd cried that night after Jacob was put to bed.

"Don't bite your nails, love."

Jacob stopped chewing his fingers. Of course, you were annoyed with John's apparent choice to not even call but he must be torn up. Even you were saddened by the news of the band's demise. The world wouldn't have The Beatles anymore. John and the others could just fall apart. You'd only ever known John when he was in the band, it was a part of him.

"Mum! Dad's here!" The car outside the window confirmed Jacob's shouting.

"Yay." You tried.

As soon as John let himself in, something he'd always done, Jacob threw himself at his father.

"Dad!"

"Hello," John cheered back, picking Jacob up and swinging the boy over his shoulder and started looking side to side. "Oh, where's our lad gone then?"

"I'm here!" Jacob giggles hysterically, playfully hitting John's back.

You watch the exchange for another few minutes, letting them play, before Jacob is placed back on his feet and John puts a bag down next to him.