31. Daddy Issues

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

- Marilyn Monroe

******************************************

I blinked repeatedly, making sure I was seeing things right. There is no way this can be the same man. I had only seen him for such a small amount of time but I somehow remember his face clearly.

"Wait, you've seen our dad?" Clayton said bewildered. "How is that possible? When and where?" He continued, rushed.

"When I left New York?" It came out more as a question than an answer. I guess I'm trying to convince myself that man couldn't be my father. Maybe I'm trying to convince myself that he's not because a part of me hopes that my father wouldn't be able to sit next to me like I'm a complete stranger so easily.

"He was there?" He asked, wide-eyed.

"Ahhhaa" Clayton exclaimed as a light bulb had just gone off over his head.

I gave him a strange look, signaling for him to inform me of his what his new epiphany.

"Dad told my mother and I, he was going on a business trip a while back to New York and now suddenly that seems too convenient." He said, looking back over to me.

"He sat right next to me on the plane and I had absolutely no idea, I thought he was just some well-dressed stranger," I said, more thinking out loud than anything.

"Did he say anything to you?" Clayton asked.

I shook my head no.

"No, I basically slept the whole ride. All he did was wake me up when we landed and told me it's impolite to swear." I told him.

"This shit is crazy man," Clayton said under his voice.

"You have no clue why your dad would bring me here? Why now? Why here?" I asked, still trying to put the missing pieces together.

"I wished I did but I don't." He answered.

"Does he know that you're talking to me? I mean he's got to know we go to the same school." I asked again.

"I don't already got to tell you that Dave, our father, doesn't exactly get a parent of the year award but he's not dumb. My bet is that he sent you here, to our school because he knew I would seek you out and tell you everything." Clayton said.

"Then what the hell are we going to do," I exclaimed.

"Firstly you can't tell Axel or Rylan anything if they suspect something is wrong they will go to my father and tell him." He said.

I swear I thought I felt my heartbeat stop for a second.

"Wait so are you telling they report to Dave?" I whispered out.

Clayton nodded his head.

"I accidentally overheard a phone call that my father and what I believed to be Axel was having and because I'm too nosy I stayed to listen. I heard Dave tell him to gain a girl's trust, to make her fall in love with him until he finds a better plan for her. Which now that you showed up I presume the girl he mentioned was you."

"So it was all a lie?" I asked, shaking my head it couldn't be, Axel really liked me. Didn't he?

"And oh my god, a better "plan" what the fuck is that suppose to mean?" I said out of breath because somehow my lungs didn't know how to function properly again.