[ CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO ]

1914, New Orleans

                Sapphire widened orbs gazed longingly through the mirror, nimble fingers reaching up to experimentally toy and tug at the blonde ringlets

Sapphire widened orbs gazed longingly through the mirror, nimble fingers reaching up to experimentally toy and tug at the blonde ringlets. Raising her brows, Astrid pursed her lips, her silky locks slipping through her fingers like water.

She was finally beginning to grow used to the platinum colour and Nik certainly seemed to love her new hairstyle, something she gathered from his new, rather insatiable appetite in the bedroom.

But she hadn't just changed her hair to spice up their already thrilling sex-life, she'd done it as truth be told, she'd fancied a change and the new trend of colouring hair was the perfect chance for this.

After nine-hundred-years, she found the change refreshing and liberating.

It made her feel more confident, as if she was a new woman.

Once dark in colour, her chocolate tresses were now a startling blonde, Kol had jokingly teased she looked like Rebekah's twin when he'd seen the new colour.

The thought of Rebekah instantly soured Astrid's mood, confliction swirling within her expressive eyes.

Turning away from the mirror, Astrid reached to pour herself a drink as the blonde plagued her thoughts.

Their relationship had been complicated within the passing time, which left Astrid feeling conflicted and cold.

After Marcel had decided- much to Astrid's disapproval- to choose being turned, instead of rescuing Rebekah from her comatose state, the blonde had been daggered for a total of fifty-two-years.

Astrid was no fool, she knew the real reason why Niklaus had daggered Rebekah. He saw it as a form of control over his little sister and the vampire he saw as his son.

Truthfully, Astrid had been entirely torn up by the situation.

Part of her felt Marcel had manipulated her to try and convince her to turn him that morning, to play on his mother's desires of him finding a wife of his own.

'But Marcel wouldn't do that to you!' Her internal thoughts immediately scolded, leaving Astrid with a frown.

Marcel may have loved Rebekah, but he had loved the idea of becoming an immortal even more.

Shaking her head, Astrid raised the glass to her lips, the sweet wine tickling her taste buds in all the right ways as she recalled the information Marcel had told herself and Nik that morning.

He'd decided after a lot of consideration, he was signing up to enlist in the united states army, to fight alongside humans and leave their family home.

His words and the thought of her baby being gone left her cold and empty.

She'd miss him dearly, but she knew no words would change his mind. He'd spoken so confidently, even when Niklaus had laughed in his face, dismissing the choice with cruel insults out of anger.