Chapter 21: The Emperor and I

Yun Ren Xie lifted her skirt and went to the moon gate. Just as she opened the door, Yunling tugged at her sleeves.

"Young Miss! Young Miss!" Yunling have a tear stained face while tugging at Yun Ren Xie.

"Speak clearly, what happened?"

"Young Master Da Lang and Fourth Miss Ah Rou..... they... they nearly eloped but got caught by Master and Patriarch!"

Yunling have been Fang Rou's maidservant before, she cant help but beg for Yun Ren Xie's for help. Since she is the main branch's Eldest Di and also the most favoured daughter of the General's Mansion, Fang Ye Xue is really the most helpful one.

Yun Ren Xie's face darkened. "Tell me where they are." she cant help but exude a cold aura. Fang Rou and Fang Da Lang have been her playmates and closest friend since she came into this manor. She cant bear to sit while they get punished. This place is not that ordinary as some official's manors. Elopement without the blessings of elders are grave crimes. This era highly restricted such stuff.

"This servant saw the Young Master and Fourth Miss were taken to the Ancestral Hall. Young Miss, Im afraid they will get punished heavily! I beg Young Miss to help the couple!" Yunling cried out.

"Quickly get up. Help me get there."

Yunling guided her master towards the Ancestral Hall. There were crowds of servants at the doorway.

"I heard the Young Master Da Lang and Fourth Young Miss tried to elope!"

"What an ingrate! He was just an orphan that our Master have taken as his disciple but who knew he actually tried to take our Fourth Miss away!"

"Good thing Master Fang and the Patriarch caught them!"

"Right!"

"But what consequences will they get?"

All the servants exchanged glances. Yun Ren Xie observed their expression, her heart have sunken.

"Ah! The Sixth Young Miss is here!" one of the servants shouted. Everyone turned and pay their respect.

Inside the Ancestral Hall, elders have gathered. A throne was placed in the center, four in exact. The Matriarch, Patriarch and Fang Wang Zhen were seated there, other elders of some branch were seated below. In the middle of the hall, a young man and fair lady were kneeling straight, both their gaze were focused on the floor.

A eunuch hurriedly came in and bowed respect to his masters. He went straight to Fang Wang Zhen. "Master, the Sixth Young Miss has come. She insisted in entering the hall." the eunuch wiped his cold sweat on his forehead when he saw his master's face darkened.

"What is it?" the Patriarch asked.

"Reporting to Patriarch, the Sixth Young Miss wants to enter."

Upon hearing this, Fang Da Lang and Fang Rou glanced at each other. A small glint of hope burned inside their heart.

Fang Wang Zhen is about to tell the eunuch to chase his daughter away when the Matriarch spoke. "What are you standing there for? My granddaughter have a frail body! Let her in before she caught a cold!"

"U-understood!" the eunuch complied and went outside until he reached the garden and saw Fang Ye Xue's silhouette.

Yun Ren Xie and Yunling entered the Ancestral Hall. She bobbed her greetings then showed a pitiful look once she saw the kneeling Fang Da Lang and Fang Rou.

"Ah, my most obedient granddaughter have come! Quickly, come sit beside grandfather and grandmother!" the Patriarch said.

Fang Rou who heard this felt ashamed. It was obvious that the Patriarch is also scolding her. The fair hands hidden behind her wide sleeves, clenched.

Yun Ren Xie passed by Fang Rou and went straight to the empty seat between the Patriarch and Matriarch.

"Why have you come?" Fang Wang Zhen who is always blunt, asked his only daughter once she settled down.

"Father, Xiao Xue came for a marriage proposal." Yun Ren Xie shot a glance at the kneeling Fang Da Lang. Everyone present were in shock. Their gaze followed Fang Ye Xue's. It made their head dizzy once they saw her staring at Fang Da Lang!

Fang Da Lang raised his head, accidentally met his cousin's dark cold iris. Fang Rou also cant help but gasp. She shot a confused look on her cousin, Fang Ye Xue. Seeing her looking at Fang Da Lang, she cant help but feel angry. The hope that glimmered in her heart slowly dispersed and anger started to bud inside.

"Marriage proposal?" the Matriarch asked. How did Fang Ye Xue fall to this lowly Fang Da Lang? She shot a fiery glance at her son, Fang Wang Zhen.

"Right, grandmother." Yun Ren Xie's word made everyone present in shock. Could this shrinking violet Sixth Young Miss have fallen to Fang Da Lang?

"Since Fourth Cousin and Brother Da Lang love each other, Xiao Xue would like to present a marriage proposal for them. Father, Grandmother, Grandfather, please understand Fourth Cousin and Brother Da Lang!" Yun Ren Xie stood up and went in front of the stairs that led to the thrones. She knelt to show her determination and respect. Yun Ren Xie even kowtowed five times, her forehead hitting the cold floor.

The Matriarch's heart softened. This Sixth Granddaughter of hers really is soft hearted. She went near Fang Ye Xue and help her stand up, saying; "Good granddaughter, you dont have to be this sincere much and injure your body."

Fang Rou whose anger started to bud, stared at Yun Ren Xie. Her heart felt warmth once more. Guilt welled up as she cast a blissful gaze to her cousin Fang Ye Xue.

The Patriarch sighed, waving his hand, the servants helped Fang Da Lang and Fang Rou stand up. Very quickly, they gave their thanks.

"Well then, do elders have any objections?" Fang Wang Zhen rubbed his temples. This elopement of his disciple really is a slap on his face, it needs to be concealed.

The elders glanced at each other, none wanted to give any disagreement.

"This marriage will be arranged. But I wont tolerate such behaviour in this manor. Fang Rou and Fang Da Lang will be grounded for two months. None of you are allowed to leave your courtyard." he continued.

The three young lads quickly kowtowed, giving their thanks. The meeting quickly came to an end. Its already near dawn and Yun Ren Xie slept until noon the next day.

The next day, Yun Ren Xie decided to visit Fang Rou. They settled at Fang Rou's simple courtyard, watching the snow fall. Both the two young ladies chatted happily about Fang Rou's love for Da Lang.

"Ha...." Fang Rou heaved a sigh, setting down the porcelain teacup on the table. "Xiao Xue, have you experienced love?"

Yun Ren Xie paused from sipping at her tea. Glancing at her cousin, she can feel that Fang Rou isnt joking with her. "I have." Yun Ren Xie replied shortly.

She extended her hand that reached outside, a tiny speck of snow fell on her open palm. "Our love are like this falling snow, cousin."

"The falling snow?" Fang Rou watched the small snow land on Fang Ye Xue's hand, the warmth on her palm made it turn into a drop of water.

"En. Just looking at these countless falling snows, its alluring, enchanting, charming, entrancing. When its close to you, it gave you the urge touching it. So we did caught these snow." Yun Ren Xie withdrawed her hand back. "But who knew, our love can end quickly. Change is the rule of nature."

Fang Rou took a gander once more on the falling snows. Her cousin wanted to tell her that she have fallen willingly like these snow, their love were as clear and beautiful like these snow, but a sudden change can take it quickly, it melted means it have been fragile.