Chapter 22: The Emperor and I

The seventh day of the second month apasedly came. Although, the cold winter is still around the corner, the blissful ambience is not affected in the slightest. The half-covered streets of snow were brimming with happy civilians. They did not mind the chilling breeze at all as they chatted and shared their warm expectations along with praises for the 20th birthday of their young emperor, Ying Zheng.

Outside, lots of commoners have joyful mood. Its still at the early morning, the time where the dragon have awaken
( 7 am). Two dazzling carriages from the General's Mansion flaunted its magnificent manner along the way towards the Imperial Palace.

Yun Ren Xie peeked outside, a delightful mood welcomed her eyesights as her gaze landed to the commoners. She felt a bit nervous, clenching her fists unconsciously. It was her first time to enter a palace but her appearance is calm unlike her fifth and second cousin who are riding with her. Since they were both legitimate daughters of the second and third branch, allowed to join Yun Ren Xie.

"Sister Xuan, Im a bit nervous." the fifth young miss, Fang Neryen exclaimed. Her wide eyes were turning watery, its somewhat cute for Yun Ren Xie.

"Little Sister Neryen, big sister Xuan and younger sister Ye Xue is here. No need to worry!" Fang Xuan lifted one of her sleeve to cover her sweet gentle smile as her other hand pats Fang Neryen's head.

On the other hand, Yun Ren Xie felt bored watching this coaching pair of cousins. Just as she is about to take another gander outside, the carriage stopped. "Young Miss! We have arrived!" the manservant's voice rang their ears.

The three young ladies glanced at each other, none wants to go out first.

"I'll go first." Fang Xuan smiled assuringly as she stepped outside the carriage. Since Fang Xuan have attended few banquets inside the palace with her father who is a second rank official, of course she is a bit comfortable.

Yun Ren Xie and Fang Neryen went next to their older cousin. As they stepped outside, lots of higher rank officials carriages are parked on the corner outside the huge palace. Both of them stood in awe. A large gate made of strong and robust wood, inlaid with few gold intricates. Guards stood ramrod as they patrolled around. Few osmanthus trees stood motionless beside the towering wall. Within the open gate, a very exquisite view greeted their eyesights. Two man-made ponds were at the edge while a path made of flat stones were surrounded by blossoming plum trees, its white petals matched the elegant snow laying silently around the wide courtyard.

"Younger sisters, lets go?" the third young miss held both of her cousins' hand as she guided them inside.

Behind the three daughters of the first wives, two young girl stood there as they eyed on their sisters, the third and fifth young miss. Their gaze clearly carried contempt and jealousy.

As they all entered, a eunuch welcomed them inside the palace. "Greetings young missess of the General's Mansion. This servant's name is Chumeng. Follow this humble servant towards the Banquet Hall." he showed an amiable appearance.

All of them agreed and followed the uenuch until they reach the Banquet Hall. Countless young maidens were inside but they were all seperated from the officials and young males' seat. In the middle is a stage where the young girls will perform their skills. A higher stage is placed at the center-edge of the hall where the throne of the Emperor and Empress are placed, but there are no crowned Empress yet and the venerable dragon is still out of sight while six concubines were seated on the left side, lower than the throne's location.

Yun Ren Xie stroked her small light blue pouch that is hanging on her white waistband. Our heroine is wearing a pale blue dress with fluffy fox's fur around her colar and sleeves. Half of her long dark hair were down while the other half are tied in a loosed bun. She did not even bother to put a makeup but men who glanced at her direction cant help but fiest at her extraordinary beauty.

The small pouch carried the earing that were made of clear crystalline in the shape of lotus.

"Sister Ye Xue, Im going to meet few of my friends. Hope you dont mind Neryen and Big Sister Fang Xuan leaving you behind?" Fang Neryen who is more thick-skinned, frankly asked her silent cousin.

"Its fine. Go enjoy yourselves." Yun Ren Xie smiled in return. She was thinking of going outside since she is not used to mingle with these ancient people.

As her stride made her way towards the oped hallway, a familiar fat man holding a horse tail in his grasp entered behind the highest stage, loudly saying; "The Emperor has arrived!"

Yun Ren Xie stopped, her almond eyes widened once she saw the facial features of the fat man. He is tall though but chubby, there was also a long thin beard growing on his chin. "Baoshi! Isnt he the Emperor Qin in the portrait that can be found at the internet?!" she screamed in curiousity inside her consciousness.

"Er, host. He doesnt look like an Emperor at all.  He was more akin to an Emperor's uenuch." Baoshi peeked at the monitor, she saw the concubines stand up, along with the guests, performing their respectful salute. "Host, you also need to bow. The Emperor is coming!"

At first, Yun Ren Xie did not move while in deep thoughts but soon enough she bowed down like the others.

"We greet the Emperor for your 20th birthday. May you live long and have a prosperous life!" everyone greeted.

A man in dark dragon robes with his sat at his throne. The crown covered his face but upon observation, his hands were fair and white, not even a stubble or beard clings on his chin. Normally, emperor's tied their hair in a single bun but this Ying Zheng let his hair long dark hair down. His other hand supported his cheeks while yawning. He waved his hands to his fat uenuch.

My, the emperor seems bored here again. The uenuch secretly shaked his head. "Everyone can rise!" with what he said, all guests complied, giving their thanks while setting down.

Yun Ren Xie was at the end hallway near the female's area. She raised her head to take a look at the Emperor but as she did, a man in white robes bumped to her accidentally, their hands touched and a warm object was left at Yun Ren Xie's hands. She turned to find the man but to no avail, there is no one else in the hallway. Her brows drew together as she stared at the small crumpled paper im her grasp. A poem was written in it:

I have grown an enchanting wallflower
But this One wandered to another place
Who could have expected the other me
To find the different wallflower I've grown

Baoshi read it too, one of her chained memories burst open as a small detail in it entered her mind. She suppressed her pain as she accepted the new memories. It was she when at the underworld, she was watching ghosts busy themselves when a flash came to her eyesight. Baoshi glanced at the direction where the reincarnation well is place, an immortal in purple dark robes with white hair focused in making his soul turn to two.