Chapter 23: The Emperor and I

"Next young miss, the legitimate daughter of General Wang, Sixth Young Miss Fang Ye Xue!" the fat eunuch held the list of name in his hand while calling the following miss to perform their skills.

Yun Ren Xie held her head down as she made her way towards the wide stage. A palace maid was next to her, holding the bamboo flute that she will use. Heaving a sigh, she wants to peek at the emperor first before playing but fear won her heart. She is afraid if she raised her head, the Emperor Ying Zheng might take this as an offence and order his imperial guards to drag her out, earning a bucketful of shame. Yun Ren Xie reached out her slender fingers as she stroke the bamboo flute.

Rummaging through her memories, the song Desperado popped in her mind. Drawing her petal-like lips towards the flute, she elegantly blew her breath as she played her instrument. The sweet music made the guests stop their chats. Everyone eyed on Yun Ren Xie, even the bored Emperor Ying Zheng raised his head.

*You can find this in YouTube, search TaiGekTou and you'll find this song Desperado

The fat eunuch watched his Emperor, "Fang Ye Xue? Take her in. She even played this song that I dont recognize." Ying Zheng said in a low tone, amusement can be traced within his magnetic voice.

"Yes, your majesty."

After finishing the song, silence conquered the wide hall. All gentlemen and maidens looked up to her. They have never heard this song before but it was full of bittersweet tunes. It might be that this Sixth Miss of General's Mansion is a music enthusiast? She even played a lovely song!

"Next miss, the left prime minister's Eldest Di, First Miss Lu Qiuyu!"

Yun Ren Xie have returned to her seat next to her third cousin, all gentlemen settled their eyes on her. "I never expected younger sister to have such extraordinary skills in music!" Fang Xuan praised her cousin as soon as Yun Ren Xie sat down.

"Younger sister Ye Xue, what is the song's name?" their fifth cousin, Fang Neryen quickly approached her cousin.

"If third cousin and fifth cousin liked it, Ye Xue can play more song for you when we get back at home. That song's name is Desperate." Yun Ren Xie was drinking tea when she felt someone staring at her in a cold presence. Before her lips can even taste the plum blossom tea, she lifted her head. Just as she did, a man in familiar yellow robe with green hair calmly glanced at her in such indiffrent look. After taking a measuring glance at the girl, he set the porcelain cup filled with wine on the table and left.

"Oh, Younger Sister Ye Xue already have a high rank official taking interested on you." Fang Xuan have long noticed her sixth cousin's uneasy expression before raising her head. She also let her eyes wander through the crowd of men although lots of them are eyeing her cousin, it was with gentle and infatuated stare. Until her gaze settled to the young right prime minister Li Si who is staring at Fang Ye Xue with indiffrence. It carried a cold presence though but she can sense something more, a curious and worried look deep within those honey coloured pair of orbs.

"Sister Xuan must be joking. Xiao Xue is a timid ya tou, how can someone take interest on me?" Yun Ren Xie said with an expressionless face. "Sisters, Xiao Xue will take her leave." she stood up and left the place.

Fang Neryen silently glanced at her cousin's departing figure, a smile formed on her lips.

Outside the banquet hall, Li Si was standing near the waterside while rubbing his temples. Beside him is his hidden guard, Gu Ling.

"Why does that girl seems familiar to me?" Li Si spoke in a low tone but still, his hidden guard heard him.

Gu Ling on the other side, he was determined not to tell Li Si that Fang Ye Xue and Yun Ren Xie are one. "Master must be overthinking." he said in bit of questioning tone.

Li Si heaved a sigh. "She seems to have similarities with Yun Ren Xie."

"Yun Ren Xie is great at martial arts unlike Fang Ye Xue who is only a spoiled young miss from the General's Mansion."

"Right. Maybe this chen is missing Yun Ren Xie." Li Si laughed shortly, his voice carried a gentle tone.

Near the pond, a few snow covered bush motionlessly stood beside an osmanthus tree and the towering wall. A girl in pale blue dress with fox furs around her sleeves and colar, watched the prime minister Li Si.

"Host, I think there's something wrong with this system." Baoshi showed up beside Yun Ren Xie.

The girl frowned and faced the all red little fairy. "What do you mean something's wrong?"

"I was checking your memories, host. But you cant seem to remember someone alike with this right prime minister."

"Alike with Li Si? So what are you trying to imply?" Yun Ren Xie tilted her head. She is currently whispering with her little guide, uknown from her view, Li Si and Gu Ling have already left.

"Host, you have a fiance from your previous life in Earth, right?" Baoshi asked her host and got a nod as an answer. " Your memory about him is getting vague!"

"How can you say so?" Yun Ren Xie frowned.

"What is his name?" Baoshi have a serious look on her face, this seems to be a critical matter!

Yun Ren Xie browsed in her memory but she cant find anything. She went back to when she first met him in highschool. The man smiled gently but Yun Ren Xie cant make out his features. She cant remember whats his name but she knew how perfect they were as a couple. "No. He...... he cant be the same with that cold prime minister!" anger flushed her eyes, the earlier dark orbs turned to the long forgotten bloody red iris.

"Host, if my guess is right. Someone behind this system is taking one-third authority of it! That person might be the one meddling with your memories! It seems to target your most precious memory until the less treasured one." Baoshi sadly brought these informations.

"Then what to do?"

"Im not sure host but I recommend you to finish this mission faster to claim rewards or even upgade your consciousness!"

Yun Ren Xie calmed down. But her heart is still feeling uneasy. Who is the one behind this? How powerful can that being be to even manage one third of the authority in this system created for immortals?

"Host! The selecting of concubines are finished. We need to return inside." Baoshi tugged her host's sleeves before vanishing.

So fast. Is the Emperor bored?

She stood up and is about to remove the snow that covered some certain parts of her skirt when a warm hand grasped her wrist tightly. The faint smell of wine entered her nose. "This chen did not expect a fair young miss hiding here outside." the deep sharp voice contained mockery and a bit threatening is enough for Yun Ren Xie to recognize this person.

Good thing Baoshi have disappeared before he can even see her little guide. Yun Ren Xie raised her head and maintained her weak and gentle mask.

The man however got more enticed at her, he is clearly drunk. "Haha!" he laughed while covering his face using his other hand. "Miss had been a bit familiar. You looked like her but seems far from having the same temparament!" his body cant hold any longer that he even pushed Yun Ren Xie, making her lean at the cold wall.