48. Alright, You Win

JOEY 
COLLINS 

I heard a sudden knock on my door, hoping it's not some fucking girl Dylan sent over. I felt like an asshole going off on him but I can't break out of the mood that had taken over my personality. "Joey, it's me, Sam."

I froze before hopping off my bed and quickly opening the door. I don't know if I've been awake too long and now I'm hearing shit. It was damn sure Sam, in the flesh. I wasn't sure how to react or feel. I wasn't sure if I should hug her or beg for her to forgive me. She's never gone this long without talking to me and again, but I understand.

I can't keep beating myself up, I can't. "Joey, we need to talk." I pushed away from the door and let her enter my filthy room. I probably haven't cleaned or put anything away since I came back to the condo. I haven't cooked anything either. I've been eating junk food and takeout for a few weeks.

It's been two weeks since I've basically died inside. I tried swatting some of the clothes and pizza boxes off my bed so Sam could sit. "This is...disgusting. What's wrong with you?" Her face scrunched as she glanced around. I'm usually the cleanest out of my siblings. I couldn't stand a dirty room, so it always had to be spotless. This is so unlike me.

I quickly fought back. "Don't even go there when you were a teenager, you'd leave spoiled milk in your room all the time."

She rolled her eyes and set herself and her bag on my bed, cautiously. "I was like fourteen, seriously?"

I adjusted my stand and crossed my arms across my chest. "Whatever."

She breathed out and eyed me. "What's going on?"

"You tell me? You ignored me for two weeks."

She raised her voice, "Joey, what did you expect? You hurt my feelings, okay? I'm allowed to be hurt and grieve in silence. I just expected so much more from you."

I shrugged. "Everyone does and I always fuck it up, right?

"Don't fucking do that! You're the only one that fucks up. Only YOU can change yourself, Joey. I just asked one of you and look at my friendship. I've been crying and miserable for fucking weeks."

"And you think I'm not?"

I watched her jaw clench as she stood up. "What are you miserable for? Because I didn't talk to you?"

I breathed out and took my vision off Sam. I tried focusing on anything but her. I didn't want to answer that question because I didn't know how. "I don't know! I can't fucking do shit. I've been in my room since and I—."

Sam's entire expression changed, "Oh my God."

I jerked my neck back, "What?"

"You like her."

I instantly tried lying. "No, I'm just mad...mad you ignored me."

"Bullshit!" She stood closer looking deeply into my eyes, "You're heartbroken right now. You know that?"

"No the fuck I'm not."

She nudged me softly. "Watch it. I'm the one that should be mad, not you. Explain this...then?" She smartly eyed me and my room.

I swiped my tongue across my teeth before I wet my lips in denial. I waited a few seconds before saying, "Alright."

"That means?"

I groaned and gripped my hand on the wall. "You win. I guess...I like her, alright?"

Her mouth dropped with a confusing look on her face. I couldn't read her and I don't know if that's scary or not. Her pupils quickly scanned my face, "I don't know what to say. I've never seen this side of you."