37 ♛ Mayhem

- Long'Er -

The phoenix soared in an arc around them, burning away every corpse and clearing the fog at the same time. The moon appeared in the night sky and cast its pale light upon the hill that they were trapped in, illuminating their surroundings.

With a loud musical cry, the flames around the bird's body disappeared, before it settled on Long'Er's outstretched arm.

"Oh, good heavens." Li Xun retreated a step backwards in surprise and watched as the beautiful phoenix cocked its head at the both of them. His disbelief rendered him speechless. He observed the creature carefully, scrutinising its fiery feathers.

"Is that flaming bird what they call a phoenix?" he asked.

Answering with a nod of her head, Long'Er scratched the bird beneath its chin. "It's lovely to meet you again, little Jade. Looking as gorgeous as ever, aren't you?" She smiled.

In return, the magnificent bird cooed happily. Nuzzling against her fingers.

Watching their exchange, Li Xun couldn't stop gaping at them. She could tell he didn't know which one was more surprising – the phoenix or her unfazed self who was behaving as if everything about this was normal?

Before he could blurt out an endless stream of questions, they both heard a set of approaching footsteps walking towards them. They swivelled around quickly and pointed their weapons at the intruder. A shadow emerged from between the trees and stepped into the light, radiating the sly, seductive smile that she wore on her face. Her dress fitted her curves well and she sashayed her way to them, observing the pair from head to toe.

Long'Er narrowed her eyes.

This person wasn't her godmother.

The stranger arched an eyebrow, incredulous. "My, my..." She clucked her tongue in disdain. "You guys aren't dead yet? Not even a beast or a group of corpses could kill you? You humans are more stubborn than you look, aren't you?"

"You." Li Xun's eyes darkened immediately. "I assume you're the witch who has been conjuring all these monsters?"

"That is correct, Your Highness." The woman's voice was deep and sensuous as she looked at him up and down before batting her eyelashes at him. "I must say you do look as incredibly dashing as your cousin. Perhaps even better–"

She paused mid-sentence, her eyes narrowing when she noticed the creature perching on Long'Er's arm. A disdainful look disfigured her eerily beautiful face.

"That," she hissed. "Where did you get your hands on such a treasure? No human should possess something as divine as that."

Long'Er straightened up and glowered at her. "That's none of your concern."

The witch took a step closer to them. "Give that thing to me," she demanded. "Otherwise, I'll not just kill the both of you. I'll rip your souls apart."

Li Xun stood protectively in front of Long'Er, shielding her. "Try laying a finger on her and you'll regret it."

The witch snorted before releasing a cynical laughter. "Me? Regret?" She repeated his words in disbelief. "You think you are capable of harming me? What a joke. You guys will be long dead before you get to me. If you don't wish to suffer a painful death, you better give me the bird."

Long'Er was infuriated by her obnoxious demand. "The phoenix is not meant to be used for your own selfish gain." Sensing Li Xun's confusion, she hurriedly explained to him. "This creature has incredible healing powers. If the phoenix's heart is consumed, one would gain immortality and live forever. Which is why we can't let her have it."