Chapter fourteen: Go fetch!

Lucifer's mood hadn't improved much since Amenadiel left. Abigor had disappeared the moment he found out he was no longer needed. This left Jeremy completely alone despite being in the same room as the devil, considering Lucifer wasn't much company at the moment. He had a tendency to be deep in thought, muttering incomprehensible words and then suddenly slamming his fists down on the nearest object. So far, Jeremy had made sure said object wasn't him.

"Human! Come over here." Jeremy snapped his full attention over to the devil, looking at him with uncertainty from the corner of the room. "I can hear you from here," Jeremiah called, causing him to glare threateningly back. "Either you come over here on your own terms or I'll come to you by force." Jeremy gulped and took the few steps it took to cross the room, clasping his hands together and bouncing on the heels of his feet, "Here I am... Tra-daaa."

The non-existent crickets in the room began chirping.

"Tell me what you think of Amenadiel and my Father," he demanded. The boy's eyes widened slightly, "Well, I haven't met your dad, and Amenadiel seems nice, he's very... uh, confident."

Lucifer snorted unattractively, "They're both idiots who think they can do anything they deem fit." He leaned forwards in his chair, "Right?" Jeremy knew when to take a hint, "Yeah, right." The devil nodded, satisfied with his answer and let himself fall into the depth of his thoughts.

"Let's go for a walk around town," Jeremiah suggested when he couldn't stand the silence anymore. Lucifer stared at him blankly, "You're still on house arrest."

"But it's just sad to walk around alone so you have no choice but to take me with you," Jeremy beamed at his own suggestion. The devil, however, was only slightly amused by his attempts at cheering him up and decided to make him suffer for a while longer, "You're right... I'll bring Abigor."

The human's mouth hung open, "You did not just brush me off." Lucifer crossed his arms across his chest, squaring his shoulders to appear to intimidating, but Jeremy seemed to be in his own world of shock and self pity to notice. "Well, then go alone, be sad, I'm not even going to try—"

"Shut up, stupid human."

The human's mouth slapped shut as he frowned into the ground, he had been nothing but nice towards the devil, hadn't he? He totally had, Jeremy then decided, and tried to think of all his good deeds. He did what Lucifer said, never complaining even though he'd been put in a hell room, stood up to the devil against his brother and now trying to cheer him up. Besides, his dog liked Jeremy, and everybody knew that if your pet doesn't like your friend, then you couldn't be friends. "No, you shut up! I'm a nice person, all right? So let me be nice and shut the fluff up. We're going to town and I don't care that you've put me on house arrest because I'm not a prisoner here, and you are not bringing Abigor, he literally ran out here the moment you left to do something else!" He snapped.

Lucifer fell silent at his human's ranting, completely shocked that the boy had snapped at him like that. He watched as Jeremy got his breath back and slowly started realising what he had said. He partly expected him to gain his wits and apologise for what he said, but Jeremy stayed panting with his eyes wide and wild, waiting for a response. "Okay."

"Okay?" To say the human had expected him to be compliant would be a complete and utter lie. "Yes, okay."

"Okay," Jeremy sighed happily. "Hey, maybe okay will be our always."

Lucifer looked at him weirdly, "Did you take something? Did Doriani do this, or maybe Abigor?" The boy frowned, "What? No— Never mind." They started walking towards the palace's entrance in silence before Jeremy killed it by saying, "You really need to be more cultivated." The devil narrowed his eyes and took larger steps, causing Jeremy to have to jog to keep up, "No, I mean, you don't know anything. Wait, no, that came out wrong! You should watch some TV, is what I'm saying." His flustered appearance at trying to salvage the situation was amusing the devil greatly, loving that he had that effect on him. "No." Cool, cool. Cool...