22 | one fool, one liar

| meliorism |
chapter twenty-two
the return ❞

| meliorism |chapter twenty-two❝ the return ❞

  ҉  ҉  ҉

Rhena thought she was dreaming. She must have been. The events of last night were still fresh in her mind, she couldn't sleep the night before, but all she could do right now was stare.

    She couldn't look away from her dad, who was making breakfast for all of them. She sat in the table, just staring at him, because if she looked away, she feared he might disappear. Indira was in their room, doing homework, Asher was playing video games, Jax was at the store and Cade was sleeping in.

   Her daydreaming state might had kicked in for a little longer, because she came back into reality when a plate was placed in front of her. She looked down, only to find pancakes with a smiley face, strawberries were in the top part, covering for the hair. Ham and fresh toast covered with berries was next to it, along with orange juice.

    Rhena looked up, only to be greeted by the smile of her father, she couldn't help but smile. He had his own plate and placed it in front of her, making her company.

    "Thank you" she whispered, taking her fork to start eating. She heard a hum in response, and out of the corner of her eye she saw him eating too.

    "How's school, Rhen?"

    She cleared her throat, rubbing her eye for a little bit as she cut more into her food. She was probably not going to finish it, but it was really tasteful "it's good" she nodded slowly "I've improved my grades"

    "That's really good" Charles smiled, a little more relaxed than her "Cade told me you were the director of your float in the parade?"

    "Head of production, yes" she nodded, giving him a small smile.

"I know you did a great job, Rhe" Charles smiled, but she kept looking down. He noticed her demeanor, and sighed, he could always catch up in the little things. He watched her eat, as he attempted to fix his mistakes "I wanted to come by early, I really did, but something came up and I had to—"

"It's alright" Rhena cut him off, shaking her head lightly "you don't have to explain anything, I know you're busy" she finally looked up, and she found her own mirrored eyes "I understand, dad"

Charles nodded, clearing his throat. He looked down, and the both of them ate in silence. The moment he saw her, he knew something was wrong. The only thing he could try to do at the moment was to get her to talk and explain how she felt, then take her with some of his friends to help her heal.

    "Hey, Rhe, why don't we do something, you and I, I have a free day just for you" he opened his arms, trying to get her to accept the offer "we can go to the park, movies, mall, whatever you want"