54 - Robert Zussman

12 Hours Later
December 27, 1944
Bad Orb, Germany

My mind kept constantly playin' out what had happened hours ago. Daniels had come very close to catching up to the truck the Krauts had loaded me into. I had tried so hard to get out of the Krauts' grip the whole time the truck was speedin' off, but the two Krauts holdin' me down put up a good fight and gave me no chance to even come close to jumpin' out the back of the truck.

When the truck had come to a halt, I really thought I was gonna be saved, but then it started movin' again. The last thing I saw before the Krauts put a cloth over my eyes and tied it around my head was Daniels layin' in the snow. I couldn't tell if he was injured or not, but I was glad he hadn't gotten captured. My freedom might've been taken away from me, but it made me feel a little better knowin' my best friend would only have to worry about a healing wound if he was injured, hopefully nothin' serious, rather than being a POW.

The fact that Daniels and I had just found Y/N is what bothers me the most about being captured. We had just been reunited and she was finally alongside the soldiers she belongs with, but now our squad was back to havin' someone missin'. It pisses me off so much, but it also hurts to know that after all Y/N's gone through with being kidnapped, she probably won't let herself relax now that I've been taken. As much as the guys will try and comfort her, it'll be difficult for her to shake off her worry. I only say this because that's how it was for me before we found her. I can only guess it'll be the same for her because of how much we've grown to care about each other.

I already know I won't be found as fast as she was because of the way I was taken. It seems she was taken away by foot which is why the Krauts didn't get very far with her. The moment I was put in that truck and it sped off was enough for me to know that it won't be as easy for my squad to find me. During that moment, the only thing givin' me hope that my squad wouldn't have to go on without me was the thought that Daniels would be able to stop the truck.

Even though he wasn't able to, I was glad he had tried to help me. I had never doubted Daniels' friendship, but him riskin' his life to try to stop the Krauts from taking me proved to me even more that he's a loyal friend.

Now, after hours of drivin' and feeling worried sick about not knowin' what the Krauts will do to me, all I wanted was to thank Daniels for havin' my back and being a great friend throughout this past year. I also wanted to thank Y/N for making this war a little easier to be fighting in and for making me feel things I've never felt with any other woman. If wasn't for her, I think it would have been much harder for me to deal with the things I've had to do and being far from home for so long. The chance to thank those two would leave me feeling more at ease with my possible death that could happen in the next few weeks or even now.

I would actually get the chance to say some last words to Y/N at least. A few months back, I had given Daniels a letter to give to her if something ever happened to me. No, nothing like gettin' wounded; more like if I'm shot dead or well, captured by Krauts with a low chance of ever returning to my squad alive. I hoped she would never have to be given that letter, but there was nothin' I could do now to change that.

None of these other American POWs the Krauts had managed to grab ahold of looked familiar to me, but that doesn't matter because what I do know is that the Krauts have plans for each of us no matter what platoon, regiment, division, or branch of the military we come from. Those plans could come sooner if they find out some of us are what they don't like very much, meaning Jewish. Since that includes myself, I'm even more out of luck.