Chapter 13 - A Muggles Magic

"You know, I am shopping for your present," Vincent said with a sigh. "Can't you leave me alone for a bit?"

The two of them were currently in a normal shop, with no magic whatsoever. Vincent had visited a few shops that morning, just looking around for anything he could get for Arnya. Which was difficult considering that she followed him all the time.

"Why can't you give it to me after you buy it?" Arnya asked curiously. "Why wait till Christmas to open it?"

"It's a tradition," Vincent shrugged. "I don't know a lot about how it started and all, you can ask someone else for that, but it's a season of giving. It's also a lot more thoughtful this way. Haven't you gotten anything for Christmas?"

Arnya, after some thought, answered, "I received some guns from Axel every now and then."

"..." Vincent went speechless. In his mind, an imaginary scenario was thought out.

"Merry Christmas little sister! Here you go, a gun!"

"Wow thanks big brother, Imma go shoot some people now!"

"Haha, see that dad? She loves her present. look, there she goes, showing it off to all her friends."

Vincent groaned. "I don't think that a weapon is the ideal gift."

Arnya tilted her head. "But when wizards reach eleven, they receive wands."

Vincent opened his mouth before closing it. "Point taken."

A few hours later later, they both came out of a shop with Arnya carrying a stuffed bear.

Arnya looked at the plain old teddy bear with confusion. "This is my gift?"

Vincent looked embarrassed as he scratched his head. "I saw you looking at it for a while and thought you wanted it, was I wrong?"

"I was just thinking about all those teddy bears at the orphanage," Arnya explained. "I remember how comfortable it was to hold one. Warm, soft, comforting."

Vincent stopped scratching his head and let his hand down. "Well, if that's the case, this is my gift to you. It's a bit early, but Merry Christmas."

Arnya hugged the bear close and felt how cosy it was. A faint smile slowly made it's way to her face as she nodded. "Thank you."

The scene of her smiling while holding the bear made Vincent smile also.

...

A slim man with piercings on his ear sighed as he walked around some cages, cages of children shivering in fear. He brushed aside his shoulder length red hair and looked up, eyes glinting as he looked at the moon, licking his lips.

"It's almost time for dinner," he muttered. He knelt down in front of a young boy and grinned. "Why, don't you look tasty."

The boy started crying.

The man gave a savage smile. "Don't worry, I won't eat you, yet."

He got up and walked outside where people stood, their eyes blank.

"Load the children into the trucks now," he ordered.

Everyone there started manually moving the cages into the back of the truck.

"M-mum?!" a girl yelled at a woman moving another cage. "Mum, what are you doing?!"

"Dad, don't please, I'll be a good boy from now on!"

"Help us...."

The man smiled as he looked up at the cloudy sky. "Ah, muggles, so easily manipulated."