51:Cutting It Short

The next morning saw me awake to the sound of Thor's snoring. I groaned inwardly, wishing for five more minutes of unconsciousness. However, as I rolled over to look at him, I found my found myself unable to be annoyed with him for long. He looked so cute asleep, his brown hair mussed on his pillow, mouth half open as he dreamed on. He'd kicked the covers around as well, revealing the lines of his biceps and the scratches I'd left along his arms the night before. I spotted even more along his back and I smiled to myself. He hadn't complained at all so I figured I hadn't hurt him too badly.

"Sleep well," I whispered as I placed a feather-light kiss across his cheek."I love you." I couldn't bear to wake him just yet so I decide to take advantage of his deep sleep to get a few things done. I slid out of bed, searching endlessly for my t-shirt but unable to find where I'd thrown it the night before. That had been the only one I'd brought. That left me with one choice; the dress I'd been wearing when I'd come here. Sighing, I grabbed it from the dresser I'd laid out on. At least the weather looked nicer now than it had last night. A quick splash of water on my face, some concealer on the bruises left on my exposed neck and shoulders and brushing out the snarls in my hair left me ready to go. If my timing was right, I'd be back before he even knew I was gone.

A quick stop to call a cab in the hotel lobby as well as a nearby Denny's was my last errand and I let myself get carried away in my thoughts, reflecting on the previous night as the cab pulled away from the hotel. Thor's cheesy but cute waltz in the parking lot, the way he'd kissed me as we made our way back inside which I was sure drew side-eyes from the staff. His soft touches turning hungry and curious as we found ourselves alone. His laughter as I more or less tackled him back onto the bed and let myself get carried away on the passion that had been building up inside us both all night.

The cab rolled to a stop and I was jostled from my reminiscence and faced with the waking world again.

"Hello," I greeted cashier as I walked inside and made way to the counter. "I had the to-go order for Suzume Hamada?" I stood off to the side as they began to put the finishing touches on my order, wishing that I still had a cell phone. Standing idly by was normal on Asgard, but far less so in Boston and I caught a few other patrons staring at me. I averted my gaze at that, not wanting to make the situation more awkward by staring back.

"Suzume?" I jumped at my name and turned but my shock turned to joy as I saw my former partner walking into the store.

"Matthew!" I exclaimed, rushing towards him and wrapping him a hug. "It's great to see you!"

"You too," he patted my back a moment before letting go. "Been way too long!" He beamed, showing the gap between his teeth, "You remember Danny?"

Indeed, I had recognized the black man beside him and I smiled. "Yes, you're the one who brought that jambalaya to the department potluck." We all laughed then, no doubt recalling how half the department had dived for the beer coolers after trying the spicy dish. "How are you guys?"

"Needing coffee," Matthew said eyeing the menu. "Can't start the day without it."

"And actual food," Danny reprimanded him, shaking his head fondly. "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

"And what's on the agenda today?" I asked, eyeing his attire. He wasn't in uniform but a pullover that bore the logo of the school Danny taught at. "Game day?"

"I won't be in the coach's chair," Danny corrected me, "it's the elementary kids wrestling today. It'll be nice to be a spectator for a change." It sounded more like a fine way to waste a Saturday but they looked happy to me. I was about to wish them luck when the cashier came back with two bags which contained my order. I reached for them but Matthew got there first.