˗ˋ 01

CHAPTER ONE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY MEET REMUS LUPIN'S COUSIN

. . .

The day of the garden party marked the first day which James had not thought about Lily. And for days after that, his thoughts were consumed by the image of the somewhat ethereal Tiger Howell. The cousin of his best friend who waltzed into the garden part with no other intentions to eat them out of their home - or at least eat her portion of bite-size treacle tarts.

He wouldn't see her for the rest of the holiday, and the image of her in the short, dark blue polka-dotted summer dress played through his mind like broken record, rested in there like a daydream.

James wasn't sure why exactly he had felt this way, and why exactly his mind seemed to be going back to the memory which faded only slightly from the remainder of the month of August passed. Perhaps it was the mystery of her.

Every girl at Hogwarts he had known since the beginning. Hogwarts rarely had transfer students, and when it did, they all were into different years. But this year, James and the rest of the sixth years had the privilege of there being someone new, something interesting which would grab their attention at least up until Christmas.

James Potter had never truly felt the disappointment that others perhaps felt at the idea of going back to school. There was always a inkling of upset, the quick thought of not having as much freedom as they did at home deterring them from wanting to go back to school.

But this year, James wasn't excited to go back as he usually was. And he was adamant on the reason why felt that way - felt the feeling of impending gloom and nervousness in his stomach. The bad type of butterflies.

Because he would have to see Lily again. And as much as he used to like the ginger-haired girl, he wasn't excited to see the girl who broke his heart. Whilst a part of him argued he was, James wasn't exactly ready to see her.

And luckily he wouldn't, for at least part of the train journey. Lily was a prefect and as was Remus. That, at least, kept Lily away as she carried out her duties.

"You look absolutely overjoyed to see me, Potter." A voice said, and James blinked several times, eyes focusing back on the sigh of the people-filled Platform 9 and ¾. In front of him, was a girl, who was looking up expectantly at him.

"You have purple hair." James pointed out, and the girl almost physically face palmed. "Hey Tiger." James had cringed internally at the first interaction with her, his eyes first drawn to the colour in her hair before recognising her.

"I can see why you were made Quidditch Captain, very observant." Tiger snickered, "Remus abandoned me for prefect duty, care to show me to the cabin? I've heard so many stories about you all I can't wait to meet Sirius properly, and Peter of course." Tiger's eyes flickered over to the people who James was stood next to, and her features softened, as well as her tone. "But take all the time you need."

"It'll only take me a moment." James told her, and turned around to say goodbye to his parents, who did so, happily greeting Tiger. "See you at Christmas." James smiled, before taking Tiger's trunk off of her and dragging it down to where it was put onto the train.

"Don't think I'm strong enough Potter?" Tiger asked, and James shook his head, as he gestured for Tiger to climb up into the carriage. Rolling her eyes, Tiger did so, and James followed her onto it.

"Where are your parents then?" James asked, and it was Tiger's turn to shake her head, a small smirk appearing on her face.

"I didn't feel like hearing my mum nag me about my hair all the way here. She wanted me to cut all off - imagine." Tiger shrugged, looking back at James, who nodded for her keep going. "Besides, it's only going to last for a few weeks."

"I like your hair." James said, and Tiger's head twitched to the side slightly, as if she was about to look back at him. "I mean, you suit it."

"Thank you. And I see your hair is even messier than it was at the party." Tiger giggled when she heard James's sigh. "But it's ok, you suit it. I don't think I could imagine you with neat hair."

For just a moment, James thought he could see a strand of ginger hair disappear into a compartment further down the aisle, and he froze, only noticing he had done so when Tiger stood in front of him.

"Prongs." A voice said, and two compartments down, James locked eyes with a man, who smiled instantly when he saw him. "You're blocking her way." Sirius said, and momentarily James could see a spark in Tiger's eye.

"Yeah, Prongsie, listen to Mr Twinkletoes over there." Tiger said, a smirk on her face as James looked down at her, trying to be annoyed and not laugh at the look on Sirius's face. "I forgot you had ridiculous nicknames for each other."

And with that, Tiger walked the remaining way down the aisle until she reached the door Sirius was in, slipping past him and sitting down in a seat next to the window.

"Who-" Sirius asked, staring at her, until recognition and realisation simultaneously flashed in his eyes and he looked back at James. "No."

"Sirius, meet Tiger Howell, Remus's cousin." James said, laughing at the look on Sirus's face before sitting down on the seat next to Tiger. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all.