xxxiii

You sure you ready? You look tired, mama," Gionni asked his wife as he put her shoes on her feet

"I am so tired. And my back is killing me," she groaned. "He is literally sitting on my bladder so I was getting up to pee every hour on the hour. But yeah, I'm ready, even if I wasn't we have to do this," she spoke as he finished with her shoes. "Thank you, baby," she smiled.

"You're welcome, beautiful. Here hold my hand," he held it out to her and she took it, standing to her feet and letting out a deep breath.

Today was the day they were going to court, and nervous was an understatement. She'd never been involved in a criminal court case, the most she'd ever done was go to traffic court because she forgot to pay a ticket.

Besides her constant bathroom breaks she was up overthinking about all the ways the case could go wrong, but she wouldn't tell Gionni that. She had to remain positive even of only outwardly.

Nadira and Gionni's families were all attending, except Amina and Danae who had volunteered to watch the kids. They didn't want Nayeli here for many reasons but the main one was that nobody knew how she'd react to seeing her mother, so it was safer to just keep her home.

At thirty four weeks pregnant, Nadira would rather be doing anything than something this stressful but it had to be done or else who knew what Ameera would try and do to her next.

Once at the courthouse, Nadira and Gionni were greeted by everyone and wished good luck. Her mother said a prayer for them as well. Guiliana arrived moments later, confidently strutting into the courthouse, heels clicking with every step she took.

"You two ready?" she looked between them and they shared a look before nodding. "Let's get this done," she nodded, heading down the hall to their assigned courtroom.

As suspected, Ameera pleaded not guilty to the charges brought against her which were two counts of attempted murder, and one count of aggravated assault

As suspected, Ameera pleaded not guilty to the charges brought against her which were two counts of attempted murder, and one count of aggravated assault. Guiliana presented her case first and called her brother to the stand. He detailed the events that lead up to the crash and the last time he saw Ameera. He made sure to add details of how scared Nayeli was as well, just like Guiliana told him to. The plan was to appeal to the judge and jury, which would be hard with stories of a traumatized eight year old and a heavily pregnant woman.