Chapter 3. Cold Eggs

"God, doesn't Laurie seem so dreamy!" Amy's sigh is wistful when she collapses onto my bed

I raise my eyebrows at her.

My eggs are getting cold and so is the tea I brewed, but I'm in the middle of reading the end of "Romeo and Juliet" for the fourth time and I don't want to set it down.

"You've only talked to him maybe twice," I say. "And he doesn't even speak to you. He plays with Jo." I turn the page.

"Our souls..." I glance over at her and she's gesturing, waving her hands to the universe. "..connect."

I snort unattractively and shut my book, turning to face her. The urge to tug my legs up under me and sit like Jo does is hard to suppress, and Amy turns her head to look me right in the face, watching me fidget.

"If you do something improper even for one second I promise not to tell anyone." She sniffs, and turns back to staring up at the ceiling.

Even though I feel exposed, I think 'what the heck' and yank my knees up to my chest. Amy rolls onto her side and props her chin up on one hand, staring at me. Right as I've gotten back to my page, she goes again.

"Do you think he likes me?" She asks, and I set down my book, giving up on reading. When I give her a look that says, 'really', she huffs in a Meg-like fashion. "Come on now," she pouts. "I bet if I wore that dress you got for Meg, the blue one that looks better on me and my one lace neck ribbon he'd fall for me."

"Is everyone in love with Laurie?" I demand, my lips twisting into a smirk.

"Not everyone," she squints her eyes and looks up like she's thinking very hard. "Meg isn't. Neither is Beth—" she stops and looks at me. "Jo thinks that's gross but I know she is." I drop her gaze, feeling a little worse for wear when she mention's Jo's feelings for Laurie, but then she adds this: "You are too but you aren't real competition."

"What?" I inhale.

Amy raises one eyebrow, something she must've picked up from me, and picks up the sketch pad she brought with her into the room.