Chapter 5. Sawyer and Company Pt. 1

"I can't believe we were invited," Meg laughs airily, tossing yet another one of the dresses I got her into a suitcase

"I can't believe we were invited," Meg laughs airily, tossing yet another one of the dresses I got her into a suitcase. "I can't believe you're coming with me!"

Her excitement brings a grin to my face.

Not too long ago, Annie Moffat invited my older sister to go to a debutante ball, and 'the other March that appreciates these sorts of things' to go with her.

That would be me.

"I'm sure it'll be all the better with you there," I grin, fixing the scarf around my neck. "I just—" —wish Laurie were going. "—hope we aren't late."

"Grab my neck ribbon, will you Lillian? And do you think this purple is right on me?" Meg frets, stuffing the rest of her things into her luggage and tying it up.

"Everything looks good on you," I say, because it's true. Meg gives me one of those 'oh hush' looks she's famous for, but I can tell she's pleased.

We grab the rest of our things and head downstairs, me hiding Hamlet underneath my coat jacket so no one will notice my plot to read the entire carriage-way there.

"HURRY UP YOU TWO! MEG AND LILY ARE GOING TO BE GONE FOR A WEEK!" Amy shouts, her voice reaching us all the way inside as we rush out the front door.

The sunlight is bright when it hits my eyes, but after a few blinks I'm adjusted, and immediately my breath catches in my throat. Laurie and Jo are playing ninja by the carriage, both laughing as they swat at one another. I force my lips not to turn down as I watch, and after a moment I realize I've stopped walking.

"Come on, Lillian," Meg calls softly, turning around to face me a few feet ahead. My eyes leave the two people I was moments ago fixated on and I look to her, unnerved by her knowing expression.

"I'm—" I start, a bit winded, and inhale quickly. "I'm coming."

Exhale.

"It was so kind of Annie to invite us—thank you for letting us go, Marmee," Meg smiles, her attention diverted, as our mother approaches. She hugs each of us in turn, before turning to Meg.