s i x t y - t w o

Antony closed his eyes and waited for Meredith. He had to see her; he had to know, without a doubt, that she was alright.

Of course, logic told him that he had just been unconscious for quite some time and the things he had seen were just dreams. Meredith was still here, still fine...She had to be. Kade had gone to fetch her, had he not?

Antony wondered how long he had been unconscious. Had Jonathan returned to the palace? Had Meredith read his letters? Some of the events leading to his waking up, here in his own bed, were somewhat blurred. Concentrate as he might, he still could not remember exactly what had occurred to bring him here, and to cause him so much pain.

Pain was, behind his longing to see Meredith, the most pressing feeling. It ached, and throbbed, and demanded that he feel it. His chest ached and his shoulder throbbed. Trying to sit up had only made the feeling worse. He kept his eyes closed, the light feeling too bright and garish, hurting his head. He stayed still, trying to avoid the spinning feeling that enveloped him every time he opened his eyes or tried to move.

He focused on trying to remember. He pictured the battle. He remembered tying Meredith's ribbon about his arm. His hand automatically went to his arm, searching for the ribbon, but it was gone. There was no yellow flash of color against his plain, white nightshirt. He swallowed and concentrated once more.

He remembered Jonathan. Try as he might, the only thing he could picture was himself, looking up at Jonathan, while his brother bent over him, his expression full of grief. And he had told Kade to take Meredith the letters; he remembered that much.

He attempted to open his eyes again, but the world seemed blurred, too bright, and hard to see. He closed them again, frustrated.

His mouth was dry; he wished, sincerely, that someone would bring him water. He allowed the feeling of thirst to distract him from reliving all the things he had seen; he still was not yet sure what was real and what was false, and a mere nightmare.

He heard, through the thirst, and pain, and confusion, voices. One, he recognized as Kade.

And after a few moments...

Meredith.

He held his breath, taking in her voice. She sounded out of breath, as if she had run from somewhere. He heard the door open.

"Antony!"

Relief flooded over him. Whatever he had seen during unconsciousness...whatever he had imagined happening to Meredith...She was here. She was fine. It was a dream.

Just a dream.

She was at his side, now, bending over him, holding her breath, saying his name.

"Meredith," he said, her name soft on his lips. He opened his eyes then, squinting against the light and blurriness, and trying to make out her. He could tell that her hair was messy, and she looked as though she were wearing a nightgown. Had she just gotten up? Was it the middle of the night? He could tell she was smiling.

And he smiled back.

***

Meredith felt happy tears welling up in her eyes, and she quickly swiped them away. She felt unable to stop smiling.

She threw her arms around Antony, jumping back slightly when she heard him catch his breath when she brushed against his shoulder.

"Sorry!" she said, giving a small laugh.

He just smiled.

"How do you feel?" she asked.

"Honestly?"