Chapter 1

Unfortunate Timings and Pairings

I rolled out of bed at 7.57 am. Late again. I frowned at my alarm clock, maybe it wasn't working? I pulled on skinny black jeans and a light blue V-neck sweater before heading to the bathroom to wash the tiredness out of my face. That dream always left me tired. I wrapped a silvery white light scarf around my neck and grabbed my bag and headed out of the house, making my usual way to Chance café.

The bell gave a light tinkle as I swung the door open and warm air hit my face. Warm air full of the delicious tasty smell of fresh coffee.

"Annddd it's 8.15 am. Late again, Cathy," Eli tsked from behind the counter, putting in my order.

"I swear it's the alarms fault," I protested.

"Yeah, blame the inanimate object."

"You're the one who dragged me shopping and took three hours discussing whether no leggings would make you look slutty or not," I replied. "By the time I got home and finished studying, it was already two in the morning!"

"By the way, I decided to save that dress for a different occasion," Eli grinned. "I'm going to wear that little black dress I bought last summer."

I gave her a dark look as she grinned sweetly at me. Sighing, I grinned and rolled my eyes at her. Eli and I had been friends for as long as I could remember. Our parents were neighbours before they had us so we'd been neighbours literally since we were born. Eli and I used to spend our days cycling down the street together, going trick-or-treating together- doing everything together. We were inseparable during our childhood. However, I moved out about a few years ago with my father after my mom died.

"Large cuppa," Jordan called. I went to grab the coffee, giving him a smile.

"Coffee doesn't fix those bags under your eyes," Jordan smirked at me.

"Har har," I laughed sarcastically, "And ordering Guadeloupe Bonifeur coffee doesn't make you any sexier." I took a sip of my coffee. Bitter.

"Sorry, forgot to add the sugar," Jordan grinned sheepishly. "Nothing gets past you, hey, Cathy."

"I saw the orders in the book," I grinned back. My father, or rather, the Proud company, owned the coffee supply company Chance café ordered from. My father owned a lot of companies, actually. You name it, coffee suppliers, furniture stores, medicine suppliers, even outdoor gear suppliers. Let's just say my father had way too much time on his hands.

A ringing laugh sounded through the café. Jordan and I turned to look at the source; Wes was sitting at one of the booths with - big surprise - a different girl. This time it was a brunette, a prep who usually organized parties.

Jordan rolled his eyes and called, "Hey, Wes, come get your coffee, it's getting cold."

Wes moved from the booth, the girl's hand trailing below his stomach as he slid away. He was wearing low-rise dark blue jeans and a dark grey sweatshirt today.

I grabbed two sugar sachets and mixed them into my coffee, popping the lid back on and quickly moving to sit on a couch next the counter where Eli worked. I really didn't want a repeat of yesterday. I was way too sleep deprived to deal with Wes.

"Thanks, man," Wes told Jordan, grabbing his coffee.

"So, what's up?" Jordan replied.

"Nothing, just talking to this beauty here about an upcoming party," Wes exclaimed excitedly. The brunette gave them a simpering sickly sweet smile before standing up next to them, her high heels loudly clacking on the wooden floor.