49.

Hairpin Ceremony

ONE of the things that Yan Gen was afraid of has finally came upon him, his coming of age ceremony, his hairpin ceremony! It wasn't that tiring compared to conferring a title of an empress. In fact the hairpin ceremony is simple, it wasn't as grand compared to a man's coming of age ceremony.

For his hairpin ceremony, Wei Furen only invited clan members and here he thought it would be as grand as the hairpin ceremony of a princess. They probably don't want the other noble families to offer a marriage proposal on his hairpin ceremony or right after the ceremony. The clan is obviously pinning for a prince, however, if he got engaged to anyone of them, the Wei clan is officially showing its stand in the imperial court, fully supporting whoever his fiancee will be. It will also arouse the suspicion of the emperor, this will also became a disadvantage.

There wasn't a large scale preparation, thus the hairpin ceremony ended earlier than expected, he kneeled on a prayer mat and someone comb his long hair, coiling it behind his head and securing it with a golden hairpin.

Much to his surprise, the clan never brought out the topic of his engagement for this occasion. It's either they wanted to play safe, delaying his engagement until the last moment where the winner for the dragon throne is more clearer before making their stand or the elders have already asked for a marriage decree from the emperor and is only waiting for it. As for who is the man he's going to marry if that is the case, it will be the detestable Zhu Mingli.

Ever since that day, Yan Gen didn't sneaked out of the Wei estate again. Afraid that he'll encounter Zhu Mingli coincidentally outside, now that he's back in the capital. He became wary of him that he put strings on his windows that will ring the bells attached to it once his windows were open, he doesn't believe that his pretty maids wouldn't be awaken by that sound. The bells may not be big, nonetheless, it can produce a sound that will loudly rang in the silent night. Yan Gen might become traumatized once Zhu Mingli sneaked inside his chamber and pounce on him again, or maybe he's already traumatized, given his action putting around strings and bells on his windows.

The expression of his maidservants when they saw him putting around strings and bells were odd, they left him to it, not making a comment.

Their mistress is doing another one of her antics again. By now, they were used to their mistress' strangeness.

Good thing that the perverted prince didn't come sneaking inside his room again or he might lose it and kill himself instead.

What he saw that day didn't swayed Yan Gen's opinion towards Wei Yuu. He wasn't a person who'll come up with different scenarios to have a conclusion of why Wei Yuu was there with another woman. No--he shouldn't have called that lovely woman without removing the word another. He has no rights to call her that. Wei Yuu is a beautiful single guy and in this chauvinistic society, he has every right to be with a woman he took a fancy to, or play with many other women.

Besides, there was nothing going on between them. Yan Gen mentally nodded, absolutely nothing! What he felt for him was probably a fleeting moment because he's in a body of an emotionally driven woman, he's also the first guy he had encountered in this world that treat him with so much gentleness. Yes, that's right. Yan Gen convince himself. The more he thought about it, the more he persuaded himself.

Try as he might to let himself believe his own words, he can't help being curious. Who was the girl with Wei Yuu during the lantern festival? Is she his lover, betrothed, friend? Ugh, please cross out the last word.

Speculating things won't relieve his curiosity, why not ask the person in question?

On the day of his hairpin ceremony, Wei Yuu was there, as well as the rest of the second branch. When he was done with the ceremony, the celebration didn't end yet. Yan Gen saw Wei Yuu going out of the main hall to the side corridors and he immediately followed after him, excusing himself from his relatives surrounding him by saying that he badly needs to 'relieve' himself.

To make it less suspicious, he exited from the other side of the corridor. His pretty maids followed. They truly believed that he is going to the bathroom but when he took a turn to the left side, leading back to the main hall, they became worried.

Just when they thought that miss is well behave these days, she does something to make them anxious. She hides in one of the side room near the corridor, getting inside and then closing the door, only leaving a slight gap to peep outside. She told them to go and guard at the side door of the main hall where she exited. Meigui can't help telling her mistress for the ninth time to come back as soon as possible before one of the clan members searched for her. She bobbed her head several times and urged them to go.

His pretty maids only walked several steps and Wei Yuu was already in sight. Yan Gen signalled them to walk faster and they did. He doesn't know if Wei Yuu is drunk or not, after all, this is a special occasion, drinking is hard to avoid. Recalling his memories of the two princes who couldn't hold themselves back when they were alone with him, he became hesitant if it's a good idea to talk to him alone?

However, they couldn't talk freely when someone is around, especially if that someone is a Wei. It's been a month since he last talk to him, he can tell that the clan is putting some distance between them.

As Wei Yuu got nearer to where he's hiding, he suddenly stopped, looking straight at the small gap of the door where he's hiding. A bewitching smile graced his face "Lan-er, what are you doing there?"

Yan Gen gritted his teeth, men who knows martial arts like him are starting to become hateful in his eyes.

He gestured at him to come closer and Wei Yuu docilely walked to him, stopping in front of the door, seeing that he has no plans to come inside, Yan Gen pulled him inside the side room. Wei Yuu faintly laugh, his eyes are exceptionally bright in the semi-dark room, carrying a hint of mischievousness. "Lan-er, why are we hiding? Are we having an illicit affair?" Yan Gen put his index finger on his lips and made a hush, giving him a sharp look. Wei Yuu beamed at him like a blooming spring, apparently finding his action amusing.

Time is limited, if he didn't came back right away and they also noticed that Wei Yuu is missing inside the hall, the clan might really thought that they're having a rendezvous. Thus, he straightforwardly ask him "Who was that girl you're with during the Lantern festival?"

Wei Yuu was taken a back, his little cousin pulled him here just to ask him that? He didn't answer her question, instead he asked her too "Why are you with the fifth prince?" Both of them stared at each other, waiting for an answer. Wei Yuu's gentle smile has become frosty, his bright eyes sharply gazing at him.

Unable to hear a satisfactory answer from him, Yan Gen give up. He's also unwilling to tell him why is he with Zhu Mingli or he'll reveal that he sneaked out just to see him. Looking at his facial expression and remembering Zhu Mingli's words, he stood there and observed him.

Neither of them spoke, silence reigned over them. They can hear the clan members laugher and the sound of zither playing in the main hall. After a while, Wei Yuu composed himself, faintly smiling. He put a hand on top of Yan Gen's head "You shouldn't involve yourself with him or any other princes. Right now, the imperial court is in trouble, the ministers are fighting each other who to give the crown prince position among his majesty's sons. It's better if you stay away" his hand warmly caressed his head, eyes full of affection and care. En, this is definitely the real Wei Yuu.

Happy New Year everyone! 🎉🎆

May this year brings us a lot of happiness and wealth XD. 💕

Votes and Comments are highly appreciated :)

©Editer