The curious case of Midoriya-kun

Aizawa was patrolling as usual, early morning before he goes to UA to teach. He hasn't got a wink of sleep in and he's further away from UA than he thought. He's just caught a criminal that he was chasing about, a sneaky bastard for sure, he had a quirk that was able to turn him into a cat, unluckily for him, Aizawa's well acquainted with the cats here and was able to quickly spot him when he's been cornered by three of them, he shifted back into a human to drive them away and Aizawa quickly caught him.

However, he wasn't sure if the guy had accomplices so he's still patrolling around. He's going to be late anyways, his students wouldn't mind- in fact, they would be more than happy to find their teacher late. That's when he came across Orudera middle school. Nothing about the school interests him except for one little detail. There's a kid sitting outside the fence of the rooftop- he clearly shouldn't be there, but he's there, and Aizawa wants to find out what's going on before something happens.

"Hey." He called out, the student flinched and slowly looked back at him, green eyes of fear staring back at him, "it's dangerous there, you should get back over here." He said. The student looked nervous, like a cornered critter, he was hesitant but stood up- and of course, as he was about to try and get back over the ledge. He slipped.

Aizawa rushed forward and was barely able to catch his hand with his capture weapon, shit, that could've went horribly wrong. He quickly pulled up the kid who let out soft mutters of thank you in a scared, almost delirious voice, but that's probably from fear- then the kid hugs him and cries, hard.

Aizawa would ask why he was there, sitting on the ledge but, he's sure he has a clear of why.

"...D-Do you think... do you think someone quirkless like me can become a hero?" The kid asks, Aizawa would bluntly say no but, clearly, this kid needs more than the harsh truth Aizawa was just about to give him.

"...No." Aizawa said, the kid looked more heartbroken, his eyes immediately tearing up, "a pro hero? No, you can't be that, it'll be hard and you'll probably end up a sidekick for the rest of your life even if you make it." He said.

"But... there's no requirement for being just a hero." He said.

...

"I-I see... t-thank you." The kid said, "m'sorry for crying on your shirt."

"It's fine." Aizawa sighed, "go back home for now, you're in no state to go to school. Your mother is waiting for you." The kid just smiled at him before he left- Aizawa let out a sigh of relief.

A quirkless kid, huh?

____________________

Aizawa was patrolling around the same area again, this was a good opportunity to see what that kid was up to. He didn't quite catch the kid's name but one call to the school and he knew who he was. Midoriya Izuku, aged 15, quirkless, hero lover, all that stuff, and a magnet for bullies. He was relieved to find out the kid hasn't done anything reckless ever since.

He just wanted to check how the kid was doing, so at their dismissal, Aizawa waited for him at the school entrance, still wearing his hero outfit since he was out on patrol, but he's an underground hero so it's not like anyone recognized him, infact, he probably looks like a creep-

"Eraserhead-san!" A chopper voice called out to him, immediately Aizawa saw the kid running up to him, a big smile on his face, "why are you here?"

"Just wanted to check what you were up to." He said, honest, "you doing better?" Izuku nodded a lot.

"I stopped looking down on myself and I'm trying to be better!"

"Really?" Izuku nodded.

"I'm exercising more and I had my mom enroll me to a dojo!" He said, "it really hurts but I'm sure I'm improving!"

"Good for you." Aizawa said, ruffling his hair, "keep that up, alright?"

"Oi Deku, who the hell are you talking to? Some kind of hobo?" A blond teen jeered at them, Aizawa rose a brow, Izuku visibly tensed up and quieted down, his cheery disposition replaced with something akin to fear. Aizawa didn't mind being called a hobo, he probably looks like one, he can't help it but...

The teen soon left after that comment and Aizawa asked, "what does Deku mean? Your name is Izuku, right?" He asked.

"I-It's just a nickname they gave since I'm quirkless." He said, hesitant, "...it means useless"

"I see..." alright, that's one bully to report, "...Just prove them wrong."

"Can I really do that?" Izuku asked, "I'm quirkless."

"That doesn't mean you're useless." He quickly interjected, "every hero starts out with nothing."

"But..."

"Am I wrong?" Izuku shook his head, "everyone is born quirkless, except for those with mutant quirks, they're lucky bastards. You just happened to stay quirkless, nothing wrong with that. Think about it for a second, that gives you no weaknesses to quirks, right?"

"Huh? What do you mean-"

"No quirk drawbacks." He said, "the one fatal flaw of quirks is that their flaws usually affect the user in ways more than one, other than the usual quirk overuse, someone with a water quirk will do extra poor in a hot weather, a hearing quirk will do horrible at a place with too much noise, those with passive quirks have it worse." He said, "quirks aren't always a blessing, sometimes they're more of a drawback than anything else. While I'm not saying that being quirkless gives you an advantage, it just means you have no strengths and weaknesses against other quirks. Most villains think of utilizing their quirks but for someone who doesn't really have any quirk particularly effective towards them... there's nothing to exploit, that seems kind of good, right?"

"Oh..."

"Well you know, aside from the usual things your body is susceptible to like fire and ice, but there's a lot of quirks that can't do anything about those too." He said, he wasn't sure why he was being so talkative to this kid but he just... wants to make him feel a little better about being quirkless? Pity?

"I... never really thought about it that way..." he couldn't help but feel a bit relieved when the kid smiled again, "I see, I'll definitely keep that in mind, thank you so much Eraserhead-san!" Izuku said, bowing, "I'll have to go home now, I'm really really grateful that you took time out of your day to talk with me! Thank you so much!"

"Yeah it's alright, get back home, kid." He said, the kid let out another smile at him before walking the other direction, Aizawa quickly left too.

Talking that much drained a lot of energy out of him, he wants some coffee. That was so out of character for him, wasn't it? And for some random kid too... he sighed, oh well, it's already done, he shouldn't spend too long think about it.

_____________________

Aizawa was was having a nice breakfast of a jelly pouch and a cup of coffee when he got a text from Naomasa.

'If you have free time, can you check out something for me? There's a vigilante running around, apparently he calls himself Deku and we want you to find out his quirk and capture him, is that alright?'

Huh.

'It's fine, he's quirkless, he's technically breaking no laws.'

'What'

'How did you know that?'

'Aizawa-kun?'

'🐈'