o. the before

DAMNED GODS,
chapter zero: the before!

          OLIVIA, FOR A MOMENT, BELIEVED IT FALLED IN A DARK VACUUM. That her hands could no longer cling to that cliff where she was before darkness appeared. She no longer saw her parents, she no longer saw her brother Sam. The black color was the only thing that clouded the little girl's judgment. She tried to scream, tried to get her voice to travel through the deadly silence in that gloom - but nobody listened to her. No one was there to help her, nobody could know where she was. Olivia tried to climb, but simply floated. She floated and floated. At least, that was the only way to stay alive - trying to avoid the cruel fate that her brother Samuel faced: a painful and cold death.

          It was a fun thing, according to her parents: the fact of playing God. The fact of having the decision power over the individual who lives and the one who dies - a macabre game that Olivia didn't yet understand. Being 10 years old was a privilege.

          The young girl with ash blond hair, adorned with beautiful green eyes, was fighting the bracelets that kept her tied to the stretcher - while trying to avoid looking at her left side, where her younger brother Samuel's body lay. She felt her cheeks swollen with tears, a strong pain in her head and her voice was already broken like a Russian crystal doll - shattered. Olivia needed air, she didn't want to smell those toxins, she didn't want to see those two figures that once welcomed her and showed her the deepest human feeling they had to show: love. It looked like a nightmare and she wondered, for a single moment, if they could both wake her up.

          The only thing she could only notice: this wasn't a nightmare, it was as real as burying a dagger in her chest at that moment.

          Olivia shouted. She screamed and screamed - but no one seemed to hear that angelic voice. It was only a matter of time before someone, in that distance, listened to her requests for help - for someone to wake her from that nightmare and for the dark gloom to disappear. And, to her own fortune, someone had heard her.

          The Dark Knight had done it and seeing that young woman wishing to wake up was the only thing that gave him strength to stop once and for all those people - punish those who deserved to feel guilt in their veins and remorse in their neurons. Batman got out of hiding and Olivia struggled as she let out a shriek. Her parents turned around instantly and watched that dark figure, admiring her. That sepulchral silence made the blond-haired girl nervous, as, unfortunately, it was a battle of murderous looks and the girl didn't know who would attack first. She let out a small sob, which drowned in her throat and looked fearfully at her parents figures, so still that they would just fall like chess pawns.

          Batman looked at the girl through his mask, realizing that the body that lay beside her was long ago lifeless - but he knew he hadn't arrived so late. Robin, his partner, somehow, was hiding in the dark gloom devising a plan to get the blonde out of there so the Dark Knight decided to create a distraction or - how he taught him many times: a truce.