iii. the enemy's move

DAMNED GODS,
chapter three: the enemy's move!

Two years later.

          OLIVIA WAYNE DIDN'T BELIEVE THE SIMPLE FACT OF HAVING CREATED SUCH A STRONG BOND WITH JASON PETER TODD. It was impossible, like climbing Mount Everest without an oxygen tank. However, something had changed between the two of them. That challenge that both started that day was the beginning of something new, something that evolved and became a new goal: attraction. Olivia was trying to treat Jason as if he were her brother, but that didn't help since he was mature enough to understand that no role and even blood would link them as siblings, because they didn't share blood ties, not even last name. They were two completely different people, under the tutelage of the same mentor: nothing else.

          And that, for Jason, was enough.

         He developed a friendship like Atlas Eisley had with her and that didn't stop him. Atlas and Dick knew it, protecting Olivia wasn't an option - the girl knew how to defend herself - and so they both stood aside but always alert. Bruce Wayne noticed it too, but he never saw Olivia feel as comfortable as she was (which really surprised her). They were both almost adults now and Bruce was confident that Olivia would make the best decision. The bond grew and grew for two more years, with Olivia graduating at 19 and Jason at 21. Dick Grayson was already the new vigilante in Blüdhaven and Jason Todd was Batman's new partner.

          Olivia really was living the life of her dreams.

          The young woman didn't believe that she was already graduating, nor did she believe that she would be a Wayne. Fate had played her cards in her favor and she couldn't help but be grateful. Even though the nightmares continued every night since the last day she saw her family, Olivia always knew that she was safe. And most of all, that Jason and Atlas were there with her - but she always feared that they would just disappear if a new nightmare to break into her subconscious. It was almost ironic, considering that she always talked about her nightmares, she didn't keep anything and that was reflected in her attitude. Jason could see through Olivia, read her like a book, and even see what was bothering her and what wasn't - he was still trying to get to the point where Dick and Atlas were, because they had already covered a long stretch with the blonde but he still needed time and more patience.

          So Jason settled for understanding Olivia and would see later if he decided to exude that limit himself. Olivia was graduating now and he was watching her from the seats, a sideways smile, just like the one Bruce Wayne was outlining at the time. It was incredible to see that nine years have passed since he met Olivia, a helpless ten-year-old girl, who came out of one hellish hell and went to another, just to avoid burning her. And at that very moment, she was receiving her diploma with great joy and grace. All the students applauded, along with the families present in the place and that jovial air that was there was enough. No one could ruin it.