ix. a missing friend

TWO SOULS,
chapter nine: a missing friend!

          GETTING THE LOCATION OF THE WORKERS TRAPPED WITHIN ACE CHEMICALS WASN'T EASY. Batman joined Batwoman on the bridge that linked the two walls that lined the giant complex. Both were still soaked by the incessant rain that hit Gotham City - trying to find a new answer to the next move they would make. There were too many options and too little time to act, adding to the simple fact that the new enemy known as the Arkham Knight was planning to meddle in their affairs in no time. It was ironic and absurd, even for Olivia. Why appear now, why appear and try to destroy everything in its path? Apparently, Batman's newest enemy, and now Batwoman's, was keeping a few tricks up his sleeve to ruin their night.

          The last thing she wanted: more trouble.

          Bruce walked over to her, tapping a few buttons on his gauntlet, while Olivia watched the police checkpoint with Commissioner Gordon waiting. She turned her face to look at her current mentor and raised an eyebrow completely invisible to the Dark Night's eyes, he looked at the girl questioningly - inviting her to say her question silently.

          "Who the fuck is the Arkham Knight?" The blond-haired girl asked. "It's like the two of you have something in common and that...that's creepy."

          "I have made many enemies, Batwoman."

           "Many of your enemies don't have unmanned tanks or military training," Olivia replied, crossing her arms. "Or even a fucking army! What the hell are we dealing with here, Bruce?"

          "I don't know."

          Olivia was silent at that answer, but understood her mentor's frustration at such an enigma planted in front of him in the form of an enemy. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a second, letting the rain wet her lashes with complete freedom. Bruce finished opening a hologram of the entire complex and tapped the girl's shoulder to get his attention. "We have five workers scattered throughout the complex. We will divide."

          "What do we do with those tanks over there?" Olivia asked, pointing to the outpost below them. "The doors must be opened to allow the Batmobile to pass or we will die before trying to touch the ground."

          "You go to the car and wait for my signal."

          "But..."

          The glare Bruce gave her was enough to silence her, so Olivia nodded before launching herself into the void and gliding to the Batmobile. As she approached, the compartment was automatically opened for her, the blond-haired girl got into the vehicle without a problem - positioning herself in the pilot's seat to enter the complex. Suddenly her gauntlet lit up and Olivia pressed a button, finding the hologram of Atlas Eisley in front of her.