xv. this battle ends now

TWO SOULS,
chapter fifteen: this battle ends now!

          OLIVIA NEVER KNEW WHAT TIME IT WAS, if the moon was even lighting up Gotham or if the incessant rain had stopped. Her muscles were tired and her heart was pumping non-stop. After this, she would end up taking a long bath and sleep until one of her friends deigned to get her sorry ass out of bed. Batman and Batwoman silently watched the remaining fragments of the Batmobile, staying still and away from danger - the blond-haired girl touched her mentor's shoulder, pressing her lips into a fine line.

          "Goodbye to the Batmobile," Olivia murmured before nodding. "Well at least I could drive it and Dick couldn't."

          Batman rolled his eyes and walked away from her.

          Both vigilantes walked through an underground part and climbed a large wall that led them towards voices - where they stopped to listen. The voices weren't clear, but that gave them the clue to look for an entrance and find who those voices belonged to. The two ran down a shattered hallway, which was lit by a small emergency light. They passed through a pool of water and an open crack was allowing those voices to be heard more clearly. When they got on, Batman ordered his partner to be quiet and they slipped away to find another pair of cracks. The boots of a militiaman appeared on Olivia and she remained silent.

          "You shouldn't have come back!"

          "Thanks for the advice," a man's voice said, Batman and Olivia recognized Jim Gordon among the militiamen.

          "Do you think you're funny?" Asked one of the soldiers, looking at his companions. "Hey, everyone, I think he's funny."

          Olivia heard a thud and guessed the soldier hit Commissioner Gordon's cheek. The blonde clenched her fists and was about to make a move to leave, but her mentor stopped her. Batman shook his head and asked him to wait for the right moment. He held up a finger, then two, and nodded. Batwoman shot out of the crack, hitting the first soldier who stepped in front of her. The cheering of the soldiers was present and everyone went to attack the two vigilantes. There were some armed with swords and Olivia remembered receiving a cut or two on her arms.

          The blonde girl dodged the sharp blade of the sword and drew her grapple, hooked it around the neck of one of the soldiers and ran to encircle his head with her legs - using her body to swing back, knocking down a second enemy rushing toward she. Batman threw a soldier, which Olivia kicked to knock him down. She just didn't stop.

          She hit and hit.

          This euphoria was inevitable.

          So, she didn't stop.

          She kicked into the face of the last remaining soldier and he fell to the ground unconscious. Olivia took that time to regulate her breathing, calming her heartbeat and reached out to her mentor - both alongside Commissioner Gordon. As she tried to untie him, Olivia felt the presence of another person, but his metallic, robotic voice filled her ears.