Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

I had a massive headache in the morning. I vaguely remembered getting to my room and being woken up various time, but it was all a bit hazy. I looked at my clock. I was going to be late for school if I didn't start moving. Not like that was anything new; running late that is.

I rolled out of bed and went to my closet, opening the door. I nearly jumped at what I saw staring back at me in the full mirror. My hair was a disaster, what makeup I had on yesterday was smeared all over my face, and there was a nice, big black eye.

I groaned as I assessed the eye, looking at it closely. My fingers prodded the dark area.

"Next time you should talk to me before you go out on a hunt with that boy," my dad said from the doorway.

"Trust me, it won't happen again. Two times is good enough for me."

I grabbed a towel and started rubbing off the smeared makeup, being careful around the eye. I grabbed my concealer and started pouring it on in an attempt to cover up the dark spot.

When I looked back in the mirror it just looked worse. I sighed and weighed my two options: take off the makeup and go in with the black eye, or try to leave the concealer on—when you could still see the black eye. I chose to just take it off, using a wet tissue to carefully wipe it away.

I got dressed and went downstairs meeting my dad at the back door.

"How'd you do that?" My dad asked. He knew exactly what happened, but he also knew I would get asked at school. He was testing me to see if I had a lie ready to go.

"Case of wrong place wrong time. I was walking down the sidewalk and passed a bar fight that had been taken outside. One of the guys was bringing his hand back to punch another guy and his elbow got me right in the eye." I shrugged. It had been the best I could come up with while I was getting ready.

He considered for a moment, deciding if it was good enough. "Let's go."

I walked out to the car, plopping into the front seat. Instead of the usual silence that filled this trip, my dad had opted for conversation.

"You know you shouldn't be going out on big jobs like that alone."

"I wasn't alone. I was with Ian."

"You shouldn't be going out without more experienced hunters. He could have gotten you killed."

"That's funny. You were all for Ian before last night," I said remembering when we'd first started hunting and he'd tried to get either Sarah or I to cozy up to Ian and the rest of the Freemonts.

"That's before he nearly got you killed," my dad said firmly.

"It's all part of the job, Dad. This is dangerous. I know that, and you know that. Accidents happens."

"That still doesn't excuse him taking you after an Alpha."

"We didn't know if he was an Alpha, Dad. The Organization said it was possible. He told me before we went out. I said 'let's go'. If you want to blame anyone, blame me."

"He still should have known better."

"Yeah, well apparently he didn't have someone to train him as well," I grumbled, recalling the other hunt I had gone on where Ian forgot to get some of the most important information.

"Look dad, you don't have to worry. I'm not going on anymore hunts with him alone. I already told him that."

The car stopped and I looked out the window to see we were already in front of the school.